NOT TOO BAD

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Prince Albert was one of my favorite smokes. Since hooking up w/PSF I've been trying new and more complex blends, and my appreciation for fine tobies has greatly increased. However, I've tried smoking Prince Albert for the past couple of days and I've found that it has become quite flavorless by comparison.

Not wanting to totally give up on a one-time favorite, I mixed it (practically a full 12oz tub) with a tin of Stuliff's No. 5 and half a tin of Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend. The result is a blend that strongly reminds me of Middleton's Walnut, my last tub of which I finished off last month and was meaning to get around to re-ordering.

It's not quite as good as Walnut, but it's not a half-bad approximation.

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I'm an unrepentant mixer of PA with other blends. PA has a neutral sort of quality to it that seems to smooth out a lot of other tobaccos. I'll still occasionally smoke a bowl of straight PA but it's the exception rather than the rule. PA definitely bears the burley curse in the bottom third of the bowl.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

I wish you newbies could have smoked a bowl of the original Prince Albert, it would blow you away, and today’s iteration of PA is not even close to what it used to be, I really miss the old Prince Albert in a tin.

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

PA is a good mixer and it holds up on it's own in a cob. I always keep it around myself.

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I plan to keep continuing to order it so I can use it as a mixer. This batch of "quasi-Walnut" was pretty nice. When this runs out, I'm going to try a whole tub of PA, a whole can of No. 5, and a whole can (not half like I did non this go round) of the Balkan Luxury. Maybe even up the dosage of oriental some. I think I'm on to something here, so I'm gonna just keep tweaking and fine tuning it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.