1. Sales and advertising are not allowed in this section. This forum is for discussing pipe making only.

If a pipe or item is for sale, or potentially for sale, do not post it in this forum section.

Dismiss Notice

Not what I expected, but nice

Discussion in 'Pipe Making Forums' started by Quinn Martin, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinn Martin

Quinn Martin Member

This is amateur hour on the pipe refub circuit so if you're a big cheese on the subject this might bore you.
    I introduced another plain Jane pipe to some oxblood stain,my Dremel, and buffing compunds. I was hoping for a brighter result like this pipe I saw on line:

[​IMG]
    I wasn't expecting any miracles, but this is what I ended up with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One PSF member was kind enough to offer some tips on how to get the look of the professionally made pipe (pic #1), but Im wondering if anyone else also has any suggestions. I was hoping for a brighter ox blood look without going red. Maybe that real pipe uses a light yellow stain first, than after the ox blood (?) some kind of gloss before applying the carnuba? Any thoughts?

Mini rant:

Pipes are way, way, over-priced. That goes for the artisan pipes as well as the estates (no economics lessons please, Im familiar with the theory and practice of capitalism). If Im going to own any pipes that truly reflect my tastes in pipes, it looks like Im going to have to think about making them myself. That especially true when it comes to marbleized stems and flared shanks....
    Alright, I'm done.

mitchell likes this.

2. maddis

maddis Sales Account

If you do take up making them yourself, you might be surprised by how long it takes to make one like an artisan does. You don't need theories of capitalism, just a little division, to realize that even the very highest priced artisan makers are not making much on an hourly basis.

If your taste leads you to want a very well proportioned, beautifully finished, not a bad angle on it pipe, you may be able to make one yourself and not consider your time as a cost. On the other hand, if someone is making a living at this, or trying to cover their expenses, $15-25 an hour does not seem to be in the slightest bit overvalued for that person's time, IMHO.

WalkinStick and Skrymr like this.
  3. Quinn Martin

Quinn Martin Member

Right, right, I can see that a guy trying to make a living making pipes has a tough row to hoe. I figured that people who make pipes are already woodworkers by trade, have all the tools, and make a living as a carpenter or something.

People who spend a lot of $$$ on pipes expect extreme craftsmanship--things I probably wouldn't even notice. I watched a video about all the detail that goes into just refurbing the tip of a mouthpiece; serious stuff.

If I ever tried to make a pipe Im sure it would be a monstrosity to anyone who knew about pipemaking.

My frustration is in my difficulty in finding a pipe I like for under $300.00 after seeing what's out there:

http://blue-lobster-pipes.com/wallenstein.htm

I realize I have a lot to learn about the subject.
    :toast:

maddis likes this.
  4. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I was at a pipe show with Neerup last year and he does that top technique. It involves a two-stain method and I can't recall exactly what he said about it.

Quinn Martin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.