notes on slowing down...

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by TedVig, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

So a couple of thoughts - perhaps you old farts can reinforce this for my fellow nubes. I have been having some issue with tongue bite/ burn ongoing. I finally decided to write my uncle and seek his sage advice. It would seem the same baccy would work great with no bite for a week at a time and then wham! I'd be sore again. Different pipes, same pipes; nothing seemed to matter. Of course I should have known. As a cigarette smoker (I hope to be done with them in the near future) I draw too quickly and too hard. EVEN THOUGH I THOUGHT I WAS SMOKING SLOWLY. This basic thing can be difficult to get the hang of. My uncle said, "smoke as slowly as you can". Simple concept, I thought. So that's exactly what I did. My loading skills are getting quite good at this point and I've found getting it lit well at the beginning helps quite a bit. This was the final piece of the puzzle. FLAVOR that simply didn't exist before came to the fore. No bite, no burn. Beautiful flavor! For any of us with this issue I would offer the same advice. It's pretty amazing. (Don't forget to experiment with moisture level too). Happy smoking to all.

2. ol gto

ol gto Member

Most cigarette smokers are chasing the nicotine and smoke a pipe quickly resulting in bite and getting the pipe too hot. Pipes are best when smoked slowly, if more nic is wanted simply select tobaccos higher in nic.

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's me to a 'T' - As a cig smoker I was puffing way to much and fast when I first started the pipe.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Different tobaccos smoke faster than others, and to this day I still have a hard time smoking Carter Hall at the right pace. No matter how slow I think I'm going, I seem to blow through a bowl in under 30 minutes. This seems to be unique with Carter Hall, at least for me anyway. Be that as it may, a good part of the enjoyment of pipe smoking is figuring out a particular tobacco. I can still remember when I figured out MacB Plumcake. That was almost 30 years ago, but I still remember how slowing down and really sipping on it made the tongue bite go away and the flavor really jump out. Been smoking Plumcake ever since, and there are not too many tobaccos that I can say I like enough to have had in my regular rotation for almost 30 years.

ol gto likes this.
  5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Ted, I'm glad that it's finally clicking for you and that you've learned to slow down and enjoy the ride. As a fellow cigarette smoker (and hopefully yet this year, a fellow ex-cigarette smoker), I can understand how instinct seems to make you smoke more vigorously. I was still a relatively new cig fiend when I first started smoking pipes, so I made the transition a bit more smoothly, but even now I find myself occasionally puffing a little too often, if not so much too hard. The flavor is much better when sipped slowly for sure.

IrishRover, ol gto and FlatbushPaul like this.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Glad to hear it Ted!

7. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I really do like all of those sudden "ahh-ha!" moments that come with pipe smoking. :)

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Slow and easy, that's the way to do it!

9. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

It is pretty astounding.

10. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

try to keep it lit just enough to have an even burn. if smoked too slow the burn may not be even, and will need constant relights.

11. ol gto

ol gto Member

I had problems with CH at any speed, didn't like the taste, I also discovered I was holding the smoke in my mouth toooo long just trying to taste it. Snorking just P O the nasal cavity. Burly is good in a blend, however CH and I have parted ways... ;-)

12. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Chiming in as a newbie, the old timers are right as far as I can tell, taking your time seems to be the most rewarding flavor and comfort wise. As an ex cigarette smoker I can attest to the fact that speed puffing is a recipe for fire and pain.

IrishRover and ol gto like this.
  13. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Can I also add that all you read on the internet can be misleading. Finding what works for you is the most important. For me, I kept reading how loading light was very important. It led me to abandon the three step load. I've now found the three step works quite well. With some resistence in the draw. Just some. You have to find what works for you with each tobacco and pipe. Tongue bite and tongue burn are different things but easily mistaken for one another.

ol gto and IrishRover like this.
  14. Irishpuffer

Irishpuffer New Member

I just wanted to say THANKS! Y'all are just a plethora of knowledge. I was having so much "bite", I thought I was going to have to quit puffin. After reading on this forum, I have learned not to pack so tight, dryer is better, SLOW down, puff and enjoy, and make sure to "rest" your pipes. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! THANK-YOU! The flavors, and enjoyment are Heavenly!

Kiowapipe, Ted Vig, ol gto and 2 others like this.
  15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Smoking slowly sounds simple until you learn how to fill a pipe properly, then it IS simple. You nailed down the essence of it. Great post.

ol gto and Ted Vig like this.
  16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I find that I smoke faster, and draw harder on milder blends (and a lot of the US OTC's) - looking for flavor and satisfaction that just is not there!, that's why I always return to my full-bodied plugs, twists and flakes....I am quite content to sip, with them hardly burning, and get full taste and a satisfying smoke.
    OT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.