Now Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysinister

More FMOTT in a Bing's Favorite Soiree. :bing: The FMOTT tin has the Frog dressed up to the nines for the evening, standing in front of a theater marquee announcing the opera Don Giovanni. A bid for classy status, I suppose.

Peterson Irish Oak tonight. Norwood pipe repair called today and my Peterson pipe is fixed and on its way back. Cant wait to get it back and smoking again. Ordered my Kaywoodie Handmade today should be here Monday! Thanks Mister Moo and everyone that helped with my broken pipe.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Jesla said:
Just so you guys know, I'm dead as soon as the wife gets home tonight...
Useless without video.

Hamburglar Vermin-meister in a cob. The niblets flavor is easing and the taste of burning wood is gone. I hate breaking a cob in - some of them taste so... corny.

user0003

GLP Haddo's Delight in a Frederick G. Freehand.

I have never seen a pipe drilled so perfectly, the hole is dead center at the bottom of the bowl.

https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=93
https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=97

babysinister

PA/CH in a new Savinelli Virginia Canadian 802. Maybe the burley will help me break in the darn dip stain in this pipe.

https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=99

babysinister

I like to break in new pipes with PA/CH, but I don't smoke new pipes too frequently until there's a decent carbon layer in the chamber. Hate the taste of burning wood. Just playing it safe.

babysinister

Indeed. We can agree to disagree on points such as these. But we will always agree, Jesla, on patriotism, family virtues, the healthy free life, representative government and some varieties of chewing gum.

I tried the honey method a few times, very very lightly. It does help the pipe break in faster. But I've found that the honey crust soon makes the carbon layer rougher than it needs be, catches bits and pieces of tobacco, and sometimes peels off as a layer. It's ok if you don't mind doing a little bit of premature reaming. (No double entendre intended here.) Or maybe that was something else that was coating the bowl. But I've only detected that problem, admittedly a minor one, in honeyed bowls.

user0003

Just curious was it a per-coated bowl?

I've have encountered what you describe in one pipe treated with honey and it was pre-coated. I now sand dipped stained and pre-coated bowls before treating or smoking.

GLP US in a Frederick G. .........

babysinister

Jesla said:
Just curious was it a per-coated bowl?

I've have encountered what you describe in one pipe treated with honey and it was pre-coated. I now sand dipped stained and pre-coated bowls before treating or smoking.

GLP US in a Frederick G. .........
Four stars dude! Now you can relax and slow down a bit. No, the ones I treated with honey were not pre-coated. They all had bare wood. I would imagine that jelling up a pre-coated bowl with honey can result in an unholy mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.