Now Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user0003, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Maple stree in the Frankenstein cob.

2. Barako

Barako Member

Davidoff English Mixture in a Pete System 305, Macallan 12 whisky on the side

3. adryazad

adryazad Member

Mac Baren No. 8 in my Chacom Maya with Iced Green Tea with Lemon on the side

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

as good as the macallan 18 is i think i like the 12 more for some reason, and its definitely better than the 130 dollar price discrepancy would imply.

walnut flake in the laxey meer, pepsi on the side.

5. adryazad

adryazad Member

ok i'm having too much fun tonight.. i'm now having

Sillem's Red in my Peterson Aran, with more green tea on the side

6. Barako

Barako Member

Thanks, good to hear, not really much of a drinker, but I'm just trying out single malts and they seem to agree with me and I enjoy them very much. Saw the 18 year old fine oak Macallan and was about to buy it but a fellow customer who was picking out some for himself told me that the 12 year old was better too. For me it goes really well with English Blends and heightens the flavor somewhat, finish is also very nice. Thinking of trying out Glenmorangie original next or do you think I should stick to Macallans? Glenfiddich is out as the reviews don't seem to be very inviting or am I wrong. Btw, those three brands are the only ones available here in these parts. Would like to try some Islay brands to experience their peat but they're not available in the stores I frequent.

Nat Sherman 536 in a Sav Siena 320 KS, Macallan 12 on the side

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Just finished a few Boston Lagers while lounging in the backyard smoking LBF. Now I'm gonna take a nap. Life does not suck right now.

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

glenfidditch isn't bad, its just what everyone else spent years trying to imitate so now it just tastes like scotch. not too familiar with glenmorangie but my limited experience was good, macallan 12 is one of my favorites and its what i keep stocked when i have money though. that or oban, and laphroaig during the winter (definitely not a summer scotch). try upscale bars if you want to try scotches though, yeah 20$ for a double is pricey but its a lot less than buying a 50-90$ bottle every time you go to try something, and they probably have better selection than the local stupor market. if you really wanna know about scotch though ask the older members who actually know what they're talking about :cool: beer's really my strong point.

walnut flake again in the BBB billiard. i swear before you light it it smells exactly like barbecue sauce, the missus agrees. great smoke though.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

just finished a bowl of SOTEF in my Peterson St. Pat 69

I started the bowl 4 hours ago, tried doing some DGT... taste actually got smoother after a while :cool:

10. Barako

Barako Member

Will take note of your recommendations, may even try the bar thing but since getting married 20 years ago I haven't been inside one but you're right it's better than ending up with a 50-90$ bottle of piss water :hmm: Thanks, appreciate it :cool:

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Ahhh... grilled chicken with mango-habenero glaze, taters & carots roasted in olive oil & rosemary, and a salad w/avacado and balsamic dressing all washed down with a Shiner Black ale and then finished with Hamborger Veermaster in a bent egg Viprati.

Now, time for a movie on the couch with the honey.

:bing:

12. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Half&Half in a MdP Brandy. Irish :coffee:

* Half Christmas Cheer / Half FVF .......... :bing:

13. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

McClelland Drama Reserve in a cob. If I had to describe it in a word it'd be mellow. Slow smoking, sedately sweet, and has the nicest tin and room note of any tobacco I've tried.

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Barako,

Glenfiddich is a lower end Speyside, you'd do better just sticking to the Macallan.
    Glenfiddich is popular only due to their adverts. Like Budweiser: not so good beer,
    yet really good advertising. Glenmorangie is a great choice, but is not a Speyside.
    The "Quinta Ruban" is a port finish that is delicious and complex. It'll give Macallan
    a run for sure. The Glenmorangie Original (was called 10 year), is also a nice
    selection, but not as complex as the Q.R. Any more Q's about scotch whisky, I'll
    be happy to answer as I know WAY more about single malts than I do about just
    about anything else. :bing:

Back on topic: Golden Glow in a Savinelli pot. My FIRST SG experience.

dp

15. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

walnut flake in the BBB silver band billiard again, perfect pipe for this, bowl number three in this pipe today. not to get too long winded but i think as an american i never would have heard of or smoked this tobacco were it not for gerry. in the tin/pouch it smells like someone dumped barbecue sauce on SG BBF, it looks a bit like peterson's university flake but is sliced about 2/3rds as thick. it was sopping wet but i just rubbed it out (bout a flake and a half) cannonballed it and stuck it in there. even though it was pretty wet even for english tobacco it lit up a lot easier than i'm used to, only needed the match i normally use for a charring light. first few pulls were strong lakeland essence but it faded pretty quickly into a cocoa and honey flavor (lakeland didn't QUITE disappear but took a quiet back seat) which got stronger as it smoked down, a burley/va mix that tasted a bit like erinmore without the casing mixed with macB burley london, nice sort of hazlenut aroma to it. a few relights and at first it didn't seem like it would burn down neat but it eventually gave way. a very long and flavorful smoke, decent amount of nicotine without turning me green (maybe somewhere between university flake and FVF) and then just as it was about to go out a lovely resurgence of the lakeland aroma (lighter floral scent than the GH ones). burned totally to grey ash, not the faintest tinge of bite even given my aggressive smoking style, and a surprisingly dry smoke for a flake.

overall i think this may be one of my top five tobaccos, its a real shame it isn't sold in the states and if its still available for sale in england i would definitely recommend anyone who can try it does.

thank you gerry!

16. Burner

Burner Member

Irish Whiskey in a Peterson irish made bent

17. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Scottish Cake in a Stanwell HCA. Sasquatch Ale in a frosty mug :velho:

:punk: :wave:

18. atlharp

atlharp Member

Smoking McCranies Red Ribbon in a Bjarne Freehand. So friggin' tasty! Coke on the side.

ATL

19. adpipes

adpipes Member

Stokkebye luxury flake, with all the talk of bulldogs, out of an old medico VFQ bent bulldog. Decaf French roast on the side.

20. adpipes

adpipes Member

Well now I have a dilemma. I am really,really enjoying this tobacco. I'm also browsing tobaccoreviews as I usually do, and it appears there is more than one Stokkebye luxury flake; bullseye, navy and twist. I got this as a sample from someone years ago and it's only labeled as luxury flake. I guess I have to buy all three. :velho:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.