Nutty tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sniper, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sniper

Sniper Member

Dear colleagues, when I was young a neighbour of mine always smoked an extremely nutty tobacco, but I was too young to ask what blend it was. The smoke was extremely nutty, with a slight tinge of vanilla, the nutty smell was so overwhelming that ordinary tobacco smell was nearly absent. Do anyone of you know what tobacco it could be? Thanks!

2. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Did you know where he bought it. No net shopping back then! So you might want to check the local smoke shops in the area and see which ones were established at, or before the time you are speaking of. Go from there. Call them or visit. Do some investigating.:sh:

Let us know if you find it.

3. Sniper

Sniper Member

Thanks Pecci, unfortunately that was 30 years ago.......I can still ask around, but most old local tobacco shops have given up pipe tobacco, people here like cigars which is more profitable. Pipes seem to be forgotten here:(

4. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

You can also research thru tobaccoreview.com. I think it's almost a sure bet that the nuttiness comes from a burly. I guess you can read research the the many burley blends that contain either deer tongue or vanilla.

Here's a link: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Good luck.

With a fair amount of research, I tracked down a favorite blend of a (RI) cuz of mine, from the 70s (Yellow Jacket - my fav. aromatic). I only smelled it then and fell in love w/it. I searched for days, w/o thinking about simply calling my cuz. I thought, since he quit the pipe long ago, that he wouldn't remember. He went out and got me 4oz. Even though, I took the long way around, I was greatly rewarded. If yo commit yourself into find it, you will, providing they still produce it.

JuJu McMojo and Sniper like this.
  5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

6. Sniper

Sniper Member

thanks Pecci, the information is extremely useful.

7. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

You bet! Let me know what you find. Enjoy the wkend!

Sniper likes this.
  8. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Yellow Jacket sounds interesting. Where do you find it?

JuJu McMojo likes this.
  9. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Yellow Jacket is produced by the Humidor Smoke Shop. I think the only 2 surviving locations are in Cranston and East Greenwich RI. They don't have an internet site, but a Google search should get you there phone number. Of course if you have any troubles, I can pick some up for you, as I frequently find myself in that area.

10. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Oh coincidentally, I've noticed PS, McC, and C&D bulks in the back, so I'm not sure if they blend it or just repackage. I don't see the old lady there anymore and she was the pipe guru (and a great conversationalist ). I think her daughter runs the day-to-day operations now.

11. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I spoke to the older woman last year, so maybe she's only in once in a while.

As for Yellow Jacket, I guess it's ingredience is a big secret. Obviously there is golden & black Cavendish present, any other ideas JuJu?

I'm planning on a trip to RI this fall. I'll check it out more carefully then.

12. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Would think a Bright VA would have to be in the mix, but I wouldn't know ...I've never had any. I must admit that it looks stunning in the jar but I'm on-again off-again when it comes to Cavendish blends. I'll have to break down and get some as it's not the first time YJ has been mentioned on PSF and you're not the only one to mention it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.