Obscure OTC Aromatics

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Ephraim, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

This afternoon I payed a visit to my local smoke shop to restock my supply of Middleton Cherry Blend and a few others (including my first Mac Baren BLB).
    Anyway I noticed that on their "otc" shelf they had a few aromatics that I've heard of, but didn't know were even available:
    -Middleton's Wine Berry
    -Middleton's Apple
    -Prince Albert Soft Vanilla
    -Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla.

So I was wondering if any of my fellow fans of Classic American Tobacco (OTCs) have any experience with these aromatics? Thoughts?
    :puffy:

2. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I love PA cherry vanilla, I had Middletons Apple but it's just kind of "meh" for me. I need to experiment with it some more. I thought Wine Berry was a myth...I'd love to try it though!

Ephraim likes this.
  3. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

The wine berry sounds delicious!

Whalehead King and Ephraim like this.
  4. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Thanks for the input ATX.
    I'll be giving most of these blends a try at some point. I'm curious though, how heavily "topped/flavored" do you consider PA Cherry Vanilla and Middleton's Apple?
    When it comes to aromatics, I'm a definite minimalist. The strongest flavored/topped tobacco I smoke is Sir Water Aromatic. It is definitely aromatic, but also very balanced.
    Middleton's Cherry is also one of my favorites. But the cherry flavor is so light the Burley really shines through (great stuff!). Is their Apple Blend similar in that regard? Subtly flavored?

Mitchell- Yeah I'm looking forward to trying Wine Berry.

5. TWolf

TWolf Member

If you like Middleton's Cherry you'll like Apple. It's similarly flavored in terms of strength.

colorduke and Ephraim like this.
  6. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Thanks TWolf!
    I'm going to give it a try.

7. CidCitrus

CidCitrus Member

If the wine berry is anything like black and mild wine flavored it should be good.

8. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

Thats what I was thinking too Cid.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Both the PA are good , the Soft Vanilla is very nice ! The Wine Berry is a trip and last I had it , many years ago , was too flavored for me at the time . I hate the Apple blend . It's one of the few Middleton products I dont care for . It's been a number of years since I smoked it but it was a no go for me . Heck , I'd buy a pouch of each , theyre cheap enough

Ephraim likes this.
  10. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I really enjoy the Apple,been smoking a lot of it lately,want to try the Wine&Berry when I see it again.

Ephraim likes this.
  11. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I bought a pouch of apple last week, mainly for nostalgia as it was my first pipe tobacco back when I was a teen. Really not bad, better than the Borkum Ruff Whiskey I decided to try, IMHO.

12. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Too flavored? For you?!...unpossible...

13. ruffinogold

Lol ... I hear ya ! At the time , back then , I was smoking mostly Lat blends , mainly .. Dunhill Standard , PS EOS . I might love it now but I havent seen it it some time except on a etailer site , though I havent pulled the trigger on it

14. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I like the apple but I had never even seen the wineberry. I shall have to see about ordering a pouch.

15. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

I balked when I saw that post too, Coda.

ruffinogold likes this.
  16. marklar

marklar Member

the only one of those i've tried is the PA cherry vanilla. its pretty good, but a little on the bland side so it gets boring fairly quickly. not something i see myself buying again but its definitely worth a try.

17. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

:xd:

ruffinogold likes this.
  18. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

x2. Middleton's Apple = Meh. Seriously...it was about the most underwhelming OTC blend that I've ever tried.

19. ruffinogold

Have you ever tried Tobacco Galleria Blue note ? [ It's one of my Sons favorites .. his favorite is 1971 Velvet { thanks Kb7get } ] .. it's a neat blend but it's what I call a high Aromatic . The blend would have been just fine at 50% of the flavoring .... it's one of those .Wine berry , for me at the time , was a high aromatic . From what I remember it's kinda like their black and mild flavor with added "wineberry " . Of course , the roomnote is killer

20. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

I've got a buddy who smokes those black and mild wine cigars. I tried one of his once and thought it tasted like what I imagine burning taffy would taste like :xd:

They definitely smell nice, though I think I'll stick to smoking my soap and campfires :D

ruffinogold and Ephraim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.