Ode' to Escudo

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WillH, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillH

WillH Active Member

This has been say many times before but....

Opened a tin of 2 year old Escudo! Wow! Pure bliss! Same as usual I took out two coins, rubbed them into a ball, and pooped the feller down the bore of a deep meerschaum - only pushed it down a little. An hour of pure bliss, raisins, dates, licorice and more! Total comfort!
    [​IMG]
    I hope they don't screw this blend up!

Will

ichabod likes this.

2. Redone

Redone Member

I had mixed feeling about it at first but now i have it figured out and really am liking it.

3. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

That meer looks like the perfect shape for Escudo! bet it was awesome

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Uncorked a tin of 2009 this morning and, a few minutes into a couple of flakes, was thinking how nice it works new, aged, moist, kinda dry, dry, in a briar, in a cob, in a meer, through a calabash, in the morning, late night, Sunday afternoon, mowing the lawn... all like that.

That craaaaaazy bedbug dmkerr better not come around here with stories of his perfect new vaper that leaves Escudo in the rearview mirror. Nossir.

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

That is a sweet pipe! Oh I love Escudo also! Beale.

6. pottsy

pottsy Member

That is one of many I haven't tried, maybe one day I will get to it. So many good choices out there.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've recently smoked several bowls of it myself, and though the first few were definitely good, the most recent one was really firing on all cylinders, an exceptional smoke. Not sure if I found the perfect moisture level or the perfect pipe for it, but I smoked it in a Sav Dry System 2320 last time. I'm looking forward to packing it into a cob when my new ones arrive.

Herb

8. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

I'll be trying it for the first time soon I can hardly stand the suspense!

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Hope no one is offended but..... I tried the look-a-likes and they just don't measure up to the real deal.... That said, I must confess a mortal fear that they will monkey with the Escudo blend and screw it up like Peterson is doing by farming their blending off to Orlik! I sure hope not. Just because a tobacco is made into a coins doesn't make it ESCUDO! Not by a long shot!

Will

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I got my first tin of this stuff today, and you can bet I'll be ordering some more tomorrow! Amazing stuff, and I've never had anything both this delicious and easy on the tongue, can't wait to age some!

11. ryan65

ryan65 Member

its a must try blend for anyone who enjoys smoking a pipe, puff told me to give it a shot last year since its one of his favorites and i ended up smoking it everyday in favor of my usual emp which had been my go to blend for a number of years, good stuff!:thu2:

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Sorry for that Ryan! :D

Escudo is a benchmark va-per and hopefully they (whoever "they" are) don't muk with the recipe or processing. Great blend! Thank You ACP for carrying it out!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

A long, long, long time ago I was having trouble obtaining Escudo so I contacted A.C. Petersen. I ended up in a dialog with a lady (wife of rthe owner) an she explained what they do to blend and process Escudo. Fasinating information. Anyhoo, she told me that they were into Escudo for the long term but demand was greater than production at that time. Shortly after that contact with Petersen they farmed the processing out to another blending house in Demark - makes we wonder what short term is if that's long term.
    I have noticed a name description on the tins has changed from De Lux Tobacco to Navy De Luxe. Who knows what's going on... But it appears the quality is holding! That's good.

Will

14. Puff The Magic

I'd read that PS was doing Escudo now, don't know for sure but whomever they are, keep up the great work! Put it out in bulk will ya??? :)

Ed
    Puff

15. MarkC

MarkC Member

Does Escudo change much with age? I tried it once and thought it was nice but not awesome. I did buy a couple tins to age.

Mark

16. Puff The Magic

I do testify Escudo gets better with as little as 8 mos (some say 6, didn't try it then). Left tinned for a year is absolutely wonderful smoke! Fresh out of the tin I thought it was good (never tried it then) but even the opened tin (jar'd) get better but that only lasted 2 mos :D

You'll enjoy the tins you've set aside. I'm here to tellya! :buds:

Ed
    Puff

17. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Yup, Stokkebye is blending Escudo now, or so says the last few tins I bought. I've never had a PS blend I didn't enjoy so I think its in good hands.

18. Puff The Magic

PS makes wonderful smokes! Wish'd it came in bulk.

Ed
    Puff

19. WillH

WillH Active Member

If you read the fine print is says, "Made in Denmark FOR Peter Stokkebye", not BY. Someone else is doing the blending processing.

Will

20. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Well, whoever it is I'm pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.