Oh, Happy Day! (New Tins)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ever have one of those days where you end up just being in a REALLY good mood for no reason other than some new tobacco?

Well, I'm having one of those days. Just a great day to be a pipesmoker, really. It's payday, but a rather lousy payday. I was wanting new tobacco but ended up buying a single tin at the B&M rather than placing a TAD order online. I picked Sutliff Private Stock's "Man's Best Friend." After opening it up I was rather pleased with the tin note - I've only had a couple of their aromatics, nothing like this. Latakia made for a nice dominant aroma....with a little bit of something else. Looked it up online, apparently its burley, VA, and latakia along with a rum top note. I just came in from a smoke of this, and this stuff is very nice! A great crossover blend, not overwhelmingly sweet or flavored, but just enough to really round things out in an unusual and very pleasing way. Couldn't be happier.

But the REAL treasure comes in the form of a trade that reached completion today. I have, in my greasy, unworthy hands, a SEALED tin of Dunhill's Durbar Mixture. I'm positively giddy. I almost don't want to open it...but it's dated 2/03 which I assume is the date the store it came from got it in stock....and let's face it, that makes it at least a 9 year old tin if the date is correct. Even if not, it's been aging several years at least....so why not crack it open? It's got a good bit of time on it, and no more is being made....

Anyway, I'm tempted to open it and treat myself to a bowl or two and jar the rest up....but then I'm also tempted to keep it sealed, tucked away for a rainy day. It's so, so tempting!

I guess I should keep it sealed. For now, anyway....I still have a bowl or two of a sample of it someone sent me left....no reason to rush this. I just get so excited, you know? :puffy:

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Tobacco never did do me any good if I was not smoking it. Burn it baby, burn it!:)

Monkeyshine and Lestrade like this.
  3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

You should probably not open it yet. The excitement of opening a new tin, especially a special one like that is over-rated. I mean, its such a drag looking for a coin to pry the lid open. And the sound of seal breaking, as it sucks in air for first time in 9 years could be grating to your ears. Who wants to have and look at the perfectly folded ruffled paper and smell the contents for the first time, before pealing back the paper and peering at the leaf for the first time. Dang, I think I need to go open a tin:)

Archer, Rewster66, Jussto and 5 others like this.
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Dunno, Nesta...if you really love it, you hafta let it go, man.

PMing my address...:)

Rewster66, Mark w4mms, ol gto and 2 others like this.
  5. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

You are going to try and get to bed tonight, but be tossing and turning. Hearing something from another room saying "Nesta. Neeesssta.....Open me.....smoke me.....I'm so lonely in here....."

Arkie, Mark w4mms and ol gto like this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

haha, probably....but like I said, I have like two bowl's worth tucked away somewhere, so I think I should smoke that before I open this tin....anyway, I'll probably open it before winter is over, but I will jar it up. I want to smoke it mostly when I can get maximum enjoyment from it, like during warm weather. Perhaps I should make it a birthday present to myself? Nah, June is way too far away :ohyh:

Mark w4mms and IrishRover like this.
  7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+1 :puffy:

Rewster66 likes this.
  8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've been sitting on a couple of tins just waiting for the right day. So, I get what you're saying.

9. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Congrats on the toby score! I have a tin of MBF that I'm working on now, and it's pretty good IMHO. Good luck in keeping that tin of Durbar sealed!:bing:

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Awesome, Nesta! I'd smoke a bowl of it
    myself, but I'm saving the rest of my tin
    until I finish about four other English
    blends in their respective tins. :toast:

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a few unjarred tins open right now, and there's not much excuse for that considering I have plenty of jars on hand....they're all just full. I ought to at least get through this Adagio and Man's Best Friend before I think about opening another tin. Working through the Consummate Gentleman and EMP would be nice, too, but I don't worry as much about the shoe polish style tins as the plastic lidded tins.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I have one unused jar which can fit most of a tin....I'm gonna go ahead and tin up the Man's Best Friend. Two bowls of it today, I really like it so far!

13. Peach21

Peach21 Member

Open that baby up, fill a bowl and jar the rest!

14. user2428

user2428 Active Member

This was just beautiful...sniff!

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.