1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

ok, so i know it wasnt smart

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by svns1xtw0, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

But i bought a pipe a while back at the Union Cigar Club in Gettysburg. The fact that they only had a single glass case with less than 20 pipes in it should have been a sign. It was an impulse buy. It looked cool, and smokes decently actually. There is a strange "A" symbol on it and a three digit number. I found the "A" symbol places online, but only when i coupled it with the number and searched Google for images did I find its origin. So, for $25, I appearently got a Chinese made mahogany pipe.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunatly, I was already smoking it when i located some info on it. Sooooooo...... It has "fire proof paint" on the inside of the bowl. Yeah. How safe is this thing? Coming from China I have no idea if it must conform to the health standards we have here. I'm not affraid to let it sit and never touch it again, though i do like smoking it. It takes a weird sized filter, bigger, maybe 9mm, and has plastic end caps on it. The pipe itself is very pretty, very nice grain on it and a gorgeous finish to it. Thoughts?

2. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

You could take the bowl back down to wood. I would be a little concerned, because China is bad about using lead base paint and I wouldn't want to smoke a pipe with lead base paint in it.

dwaugh likes this.
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Since the Chinese proved they are equally willing to poison human babies and housepets my family has stopped purchasing their products as much as possible. The dipsticks probably use leftover power industry PBB's and melamine for flame retardants. Chinese pipe to my lips? Not in this lifetime.

TxPipesmoker, snowman and shadow like this.
  4. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

With the number of people living in China...that type of pipe is called population control!

5. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

They certainly have the knack of getting the look right, there are some very pretty Chinese pipes around. However, their health and safety record does leave quite a lot to be desired. Although, I believe they do try to keep within the specifications they are asked for, so if ordered to US regulations, there's a fair chance it is.
    The ones that worry me are the metal lined, plastic bowled jobs you see so many of. Hot metal, sitting in a plastic mount? The potential for some VERY unpleasant fumes is mind boggling.

I still have some Chinese pipes, from before I learnt better, but don't smoke them simply because I prefer other pipes. I'm still waiting for them to bring out some 'composite' meers.:eek:

Pete

6. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

Ok, its settled. No more lighting up the Chinese pipe. It's pretty, and i have little use for it as a decoration, but i won't toss it.

7. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

Oh, and on the site I found them, you couldn't buy it by itself, in individual units. You got them in sets and they were a reward of some type that you got for free or at a discount for buying something else. Called a promotion pipe.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Their drywall makes people sick.... I wouldnt put anything made over there in my mouth . Hell ,put in in a cool display box and write a story about it's American history and attach inside . Get yer money back from them . Throw in a pouch of mixture 79 as well .. as a " bonus ";)

9. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I wouldn't put anything that comes from China in my mouth, especially if I'm going to apply heat to it. And now there's a new scare about Apple Juice from concentrate. The apples come from China (madness) and the news is that high levels of ARSENIC have been found in the product. I've read that there's good arsenic, and bad arsenic, but high levels of either can't be beneficial. I'm going to really start looking hard at where my food comes from.

Can't wait until China starts growing tobacco!

10. telltime

telltime Active Member

I eat their food sometimes...;)

11. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

What a world we live in.

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Well at least you're not out any serious coin on this one. It'll look nice on a corner of your bookshelf perhaps. If you've got another $25-$30 to spend, you can probably find a similar-shaped Grabow or Kaywoodie over at the WV Smoke Shop and those pipes are always safe.

Bri2k

13. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

Yeah, the silver lining was the price.

14. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

I wonder how many of these have been sold, and are being used without the knowledge of what's gone into making them.

15. Mbalta

Mbalta Member

I'm with Mr. Moo on this, and I'm pretty radical about it: I DON'T BUY FROM CHINA!!!
    Not unless they know what freedom, respect, human rights and other basic words mean... Ohh and quality also...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.