1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Old 3-DOT Brigham Restoration

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jonny, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonny

Jonny Member

The file size's are to large (approx 1mb picture) to put in the gallery or post on the forum so I took the liberty of posting the restoration process that I did for a old estate Brigham 3-Dot pipe I found in a smoke shop downtown!

Although I am open to any questions, I also am looking for help to identify the name of the pipe. There is a number 5 printed underneath the Brigham number and I assumed that was to associate it with the Brigham model numbers, although apparently there is no model 5. So I am quite confused. :bing:

Here is the link:
    http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/BLAX123/Brigham Restoration/

Thanks!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

A very unusual pipe.... 3 dot so I guess it's not a sportsman.... weird!

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I like the look of that pipe, it is different. How did your salt treatment go, did it all work out ok? I had to do my first on one of my pipes not to long ago.

4. Jonny

Jonny Member

It is odd looking isn't it! You don't really see pipes such as this everyday! (Although thats one of the reasons I like it)

The Salt Treatment did not go so well with the cotton swab and rum. So I decided to put a little masking tape on the end instead of the cotton swab, and instead of rum I used a 70% alcohol. I put in about 15-20 drops and left it for 24 hours and it did a great job! The salt was a yellowy-brown and keep in mind, that was AFTER I scraped out the cake (which took several hours mite I add). You can see the bowl pretty well here.

Right now I am just trying to get out the tooth marks as best I can and clean up the rim of the bowl. Although this pipe was clearly loved by somebody because the rim is pretty much totaled. Does anyone have a suggestion for cleaning the rim besides saliva? I'm scared to take off the finish (although apparently Brighams don't have finishes).

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Rim doesn't look too bad. Saliva plus one hour of elbow grease should just about do it!

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Oh and here are the steps for that:
    1. smear saliva on the rim
    2. rub hard with a cloth in a circular motion
    3. repeat steps 1 and 2 till done!

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Really nice job so far on a very unusual pipe.

Can second Dobi's idea for the rim, but what I do is use a furniture polish called "Lord Sheraton Pure Beeswax Balsam" - the stuff the National Trust uses in its Stately Homes - I put it on sparingly with a finger, rub in, leave to dry then polish off with a really soft brush finally buffing with a lintless cloth; still needs effort but it does work.

Thanks for sharing the pix of your project,

Gerry

8. Jonny

Jonny Member

Thanks fella's Im going to work on it some more tonight! Will post pics soon hopefully!

9. Jonny

Jonny Member

I e-mailed Brigham this is what they said.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. The pipe under discussion is a Sportsman pipe, 300-series (3 dot). I wonder if the 5 is actually an S, because the ā€œSā€ was sometimes used to denote Sportsman pipes?

Sincerely,

Anna Dardzinska

Accounts Receivable & Customer Service

Brigham Enterprises Inc

288 Judson St, Unit 1

Toronto, ON, M8Z 5T6

1-800-668-0628 x 238

fax 1-877-766-7270

anna@brigham1906.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.