Old boy help!!!

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Max Gunner, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

Just bought an Old Boy lighter. It's beautiful. Feels good, looks good. If it produced a flame, it would be perfect.

I filled it with Zippor butane. Waited > 30 minutes, then tried it. Nothing. Sparks, but no flame. I hear the gas coming out, I see the spark, but it will not ignite.

I held a lit match up to the gas stream, and it works like a charm. I changed the flint (not sure why, but I'm freaking out here) no change.

What the heck is going on?

Please help!

MG

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Did you purchase the lighter new? If it's used, you might need to clean the strike wheel, and the area right around the nozzle since it sometimes gets a bit dirty there and makes it hard to light.

3. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

Brand new. But never mind. I figured it out. I was flicking the wheel the wrong direction. :oops: Dang I'm an idiot.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Glad you figured it out!

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Yup. Gotta use them left-handed. Won't work any other way. Suck it, righties! ;)

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Do Not ever tell my wife I use a left-handed lighter!

HCraven and Mark w4mms like this.
  7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

The gas orifice on my Old Boy gets carboned shut real fast. I have to clean it with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. It's not hard to do and takes less than a minute. I love my Old Boy and you'll love yours too.

Ol Brokedik

HCraven likes this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Don't sweat it! There may be some people that flicked it the proper way their first time, but I've never seen one! Including myself! :D

I haven't lit a pipe with anything but an Old Boy since around 1988. Accept No Substitutes!

9. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

Ha ha!

I'm a lefty (hand that is..not politics!). When I first got my Old Boy a couple years back, I looked at the darned thing and thought "Aww crap...another thing made for a righty!!!". Thought I had simply learned how to use it backwards in my left hand! Kind of like Jimi Hendrix re-stringing the right handed guitars!!! :cool:

And yes, the carbon builds up fast around the nozzle. Regular cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a little brish wil take care of that. I even swish the top of the OB around in alcohol just to loosen and build up.

Cheers and congrats on such a fine lighting apparatus!

10. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

Thanks, all. I hate to think how long I would've kept struggling with this. I finally went to Youtube and watched a video of a guy using one. I actually replayed it twice when I realized he was flicking it the opposite (to me) direction. I don't know why the other way seems intuitive to me, but it just does. Oh well. I finally used it correctly, and it's been a joy since.

Ordered some Pirate Kake, Star of the East, and Ten to Midnight in the same order. Got the itch (again) Friday and ordered my first meer along with some Ten Russians. Not a bad weekend! :bing:

11. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

Oh it's a slippery slope, ain't it? :byg:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.