old coffee jars.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by craig, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

hey guys hope your all well.

For a time my mam used to buy small packs of coffee in plastic tubs with a click on lid, i did a couple of experiments and tried to suck air through the seam were the lid meets the tub and none came throughso i stuck my tobacco in there.
    It seems to be ok, but for long term aging do any of you reackon i would be able to keep them in them tubs with some added electricians tape around the lid/tub seam.

thanks for your help fellas.

2. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I would be afraid of the coffee being absorbed into the plastic over time and now the flavor of coffee mixing with the tobacco.

Gunslinger,

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

I once stored a cavendish tobacco in a plastic a Ziploc container . I said once.

It seemed to have picked up the flavor of the plastic, and ruined the tobacco. Now, I know not all plastic storage containers are not created equal, but I will stick with glass jars now.

IrishRover likes this.
  4. craig

craig Active Member

that wont happen slinger, they were in foil stick packs and and the tub was just storage for them so the coffee wasnt actually in contact with the jar itself at any point, but i see what you mean, thanks for the heads up slinger

5. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Ah, so it's not the bulk coffee tubs. Those plastic tubs are usually made of abs plastic. I would look into how much the plastic odor itself would leach into the tobacco.

Gunslinger,

6. Professor

Professor Active Member

I'd say: Keep it simple and get yourself
    some mason jars. :)

Old Codger, Alan Dye and Morse like this.
  7. craig

craig Active Member

well ive used them since april and theres no plasticy taste in the tobacco so i suppose they must be good for purpose. but maybe i should get some propper jars.

Morse likes this.
  8. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Lol, yeah the jars are not expensive. Bought a few dozen and then was given several, so now I only to buy lids and rings for awhile.

Gunslinger,

9. craig

craig Active Member

cool, would the kilner jars be ok its basically a lid and its given extra strength closure by metal fasteners.

10. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I would think so for short term use at least. I read somewhere about those rubber seals going bad after either several months or a couple years... Those bail type lids are good if you plan on dipping into the tobacco often. But many people prefer the screw type lid jars for more long term use.

You made me search for kilner jar on google, they are the same as the mason jar here cross the pond.

Gunslinger,

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  11. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

I use the kilner jars myself since I'm not aging any tobacco at the moment. They see dipping into them once every couple of weeks to replenish my stack of more daily smokables which I in turn keep in even smaller kilner jars, there are those that fit in your pocket even.

12. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i have used coffee tubs and instant coffee glass containerss for SHORT term storage(seal on the glass containers isn't good for long term)--if it's gonna be in the cellar for a while, i'd say mason glass jars

13. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I've tried several different glass and plastic containers, new and re-purposed, but nothing works as well as glass mason jars.

Professor likes this.
  14. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Look for the two-part lid kilners. Dunelm Mill sell them and deliver. Those clamp-down lid ones are ok for medium-term storage but won't hold up to years of storage from what I have read.

15. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

Plastics breath so I don't think you would want to age anything in something that has plastic as a barrier. As part of the seal it is probably ok but the tins tobacco come in is probably much better.

Some plastics also contain really nasty chemicals so I would be a bit hesitant to smoke stuff that has been in it. The soft plastics are said to be the nastiest out there.

Professor likes this.
  16. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Moisture buttons can help too, but it winds up cheaper to use mason jars from the start if you need to add a gasket seal to the lid and a ceramic button....

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I use old coffee cans to store bags of various samples...Latakia's in one, Virginia's in another...and M79 in its own can...

18. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I'm not sure what type of plastic is used, but lets not forget that Prince Albert comes in a plastic can. Several people have reported keeping the tub for a very long time without any troubles. I know mine lasted 2 or 3 months before it was used up, and nary a problem. Even discounting the PG, there were no off flavors.

19. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I used Naturally Fresh salad dressing jars, they are glass and have a excellent rubber seal (better than canning jars) but I only use them for cellaring as they are bigger and hold 4 to 6 ounces.

20. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I'll stick with the original tins or glass mason jars. Plus I like the looks of the jars

Professor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.