Old Gowrie from Rattray

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

My second bowl of this one since i got the package last night. Absolutely stellar, what an amazing surprise. ( i had somewhat negative expectations after jarring my Hal o the wynd purchase last year, it didn't wow me)

Gowrie has this sweet gentle sugar taste to it and a full flavor profile the way I like it. bright but full, can't comment on the N factor though, I'm not getting knocked over or anything.

I tend to smoke with a coffee and this one matches up really well.
    The format on arrival is great too, really nicely broken up flake that packs straight in, great humidity out of the tin. Usually when people talk about fig taste and smell i get grossed out but i think i see what they mean now.

If you're a Virginia lover and have been around the block on dunhill, orlik, escudo etc like i have, i highly recommend this one, it seems to have a much greater level of complexity while still delivering the Virginia taste you want.

This is something I'm going to stock up on and age for sure. Awesome random selection, in the same delivery I snagged a tin of silver flake from solani, blue mountain and blackwoods flake from mcclelland. We'll see how they measure up.

Wicklow likes this.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

It is a benchmark Va!
    :thu2:

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

I am curious how you would compare OG to Blackwoods.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I am actually a big fan of HOTW, but I've always been curious about the other famed Rattray Virginias, like OG, Marlin Flake, and Brown Clunee. This may be the year I finally check them out. Thanks for the review, Tenthgate!

5. Capt

Capt Active Member

I LOVE Marlin Flake. I have some aged from around 2000-2001. I cannot begin to explain what 11-12 years does to a Va!

6. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

:D

7. user1975

user1975 Active Member

HOTW,and Marlin Flake are both very good. I've never had OG yet, but have it on the TAD list. I haven't tried a Rattray blend yet I didn't like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.