Old Gowrie vs. Hal O' The Wynd

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Capt, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have been smoking both of these for a few days, trying to find the subtle differences between the two. The tin note is definitely different, HOTW has a sweet LTF pastry-like aroma, OG has a sour fruit smell. I do not notice that much nicotine difference in the two, but HOTW may be just a titch stronger.

Both appear to be of the same leaf origin, color and texture. Both share the same moisture content in the tin.

What are your thoughts?

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I'm not advanced enough to offer an opinion about the difference, but I have smoked both (thanks to Snake and Moo-Dawg). I did order a tin of the OG, but have yet to pop it. If I have some HOTW left, I will try to do a side by side when I'm back at the dwaugh home base (I'm in the undisclosed dwaugh location [NJ] right now).

Capt likes this.
  3. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I do side by side comparison's every other day or so as both are in my rotation and couldn't describe the difference between them but I think I like Old Gowrie better. I need to order some more from JR's (best price I've found).

WyoBob

Mington likes this.
  4. Capt

Capt Active Member

Heck yes Bob, JR's is definitely the cheapest! 12 bucks for 100g. can't go wrong with the 5 dollar shipping either!

Mington likes this.
  5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I'm a huge fan of the bready taste of HOTW.

6. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

I just finished 100g of each. I definitely like OG better, I found HOTW to be a bit too deep for me.... There was a few times when I 'got' it, and I can see why people rave about it, but I guess it's just not for me. I also expected a bit more of a nicotine kick..

OG on the other hand, I smashed through that tin real quick, and I plan on stocking up, I love the pure tobacco taste, and I didn't have to search for it. Dunhill flake finally has a competitor.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It's been awhile since I smoked any new HOTW, but historically HOTW was predominantly red VA and much stronger and OG was a mix of lemon and orange VA and was geared towards moderate strength. HOTW was a ribbon while OG was a broken flake (well broken, but still a broken flake). Trippwire nailed one of the main differences with his "deep" comment... HOTW had much more obvious depth - it hit immediately, while OG's was more lightly nuanced. Mike's "bready" comment is, in my mind, particularly accurate as well.

With the advent of K&K, crazy things like perique have been added, and the differences that were once magnified may have homogenized a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.