Old guys: What do you think of the 759 remakes?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

This year's Chicago show had a contest to see who could come closest to the long-departed Balkan Sobranie 759. Here's a nicely-done description of the event (don't miss the comments, there are Big Deal Famous Pipe People there):
    http://passionforpipes.squarespace....balkan-sobranie-throwdown-mike-mcneil-wi.html

In short, Russ Oullette's "Black House" won the judges' panel, and McClelland's "Blue Mountain" won the "peoples' choice."

I have the McClelland, and have to say that it does indeed remind me of 759-- 'course, it's been almost 20 years since I had any, so it's hard for me to know how close it comes. Haven't had the Black House yet, have you? Any thoughts?

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I can't comment on the Balkan Sobraine but I really enjoy Blue Mountain. I am already planning on repurchasing it when this tin is gone.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm sure each of the three new blends created were very good !

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I never got to try the fabled 759 (though I could have, but I was too busy smoking bitey bulk aros and chasing skirts in those days) but it never ceases to amaze me that so many attempts are made to recreate this blend. :dh1: If this much effort were directed at other things, we might finally have our hover cars, powered by cold fusion. :p One has to wonder about the fate of the original recipe, though. Was it lost in a fire, or buried with Colonel Sanders? :msty:

Although the baseline sample was seriously old as English blends go, and though there are those old-timers who will swear that Gallaher's version was different than Sobranie's, or that the blend even changed during it's tenure at Sobranie, I think it's safe to say that a true-as-can-possibly-be-expected replacement has been produced in this case. Perhaps I'll sample some in the future. Meanwhile, I have in my cellar a tin of Robt. Lewis' Tree Mixture, which some have said is the closest thing to the original 759 they've ever had...:old:

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think it's fine to do for fun , like a competitin , so long as it's not taken to some stratus height as a big deal . Cause it's not . Maybe if the show goers had both side by side .. they'd have come up w/ russ' blend as well . But their favorite was one not as close [ cause it dosent matter ] . This is why there is styles of blends . When one goes away there's a bazillion more in that style to smoke . It's really not a big deal . I smoked the 759 years ago . It wasnt my daily smoke but it was very good and most everyone agreed it was . It was a benchmark blend if ever there was . Like some others ....it's gone

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Incidentally, I would love to have been there for the history lecture. What I can't figure out is why Sobranie Black Russian cigarettes are (apparently) still made while what is arguably the world's best loved pipe tobacco got dropped like a hot rock. I haven't seen anyone smoking Black Russians since the Eighties, when I was hanging around with some goth chicks.

Kiowapipe and Mark w4mms like this.
  7. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I love Blue Mountain, it has become my "go to" blend as of late, and I will certainly be re-ordering it. Herb, I hear you on the Sobranie's lack of judgement on dropping 759 while still producing Black Russian cigarettes. I smoked Black Russians some back in the '80's, and while they are a great cigarette, they were around $4 a pack back then, I'd hate to think what they'd cost today.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've smoked only a bowl of each and there's no way I could possibly say how close they are to 759. It's been many years since I smoked a fresh tin of 759 and the tin I smoked a couple of years back had several years of age on it, rendering the comparison all but meaningless.

These blends were produced and judged based on ingredients and someone's memory. Unless you can find a tin of 759 that was produced yesterday, it's going to be hard to comment objectively.

That said, the Blue Mountain certainly recalled 759 to my mind.

9. dmkerr

They also dropped The Balkan Sobranie cigarettes. They were non-filtered, came in little tins of 10 cigarettes and they were every bit as good as 759. Much better than the Black Russians, which were no slouches. That was a great cigarette. I probably smoked 100 tins back in the '80's when I smoked cigarettes. But man, did the aroma get me some nasty comments! :ohyh:

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Can you compare the Blue Mountain to the Compton's Macedonian Mixture?

Best I can gather is that the heart of the flavor signature of Balkan Sobranie resided in the quality and % of Yenidje tobacco in their blends.

11. dmkerr

Based on my single bowl of Blue Mountain vs the few pounds of the Compton's I've smoked, the Compton's kills it.

Take that for what little it's worth.

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Yeah, howsabout we just say in general Comptons beats the **** out of whatever you put up against it. Crude, but true.

13. Mister Moo

Maybe we need to all chip in and send Russ O. up to Canada for a few years of training under Maxim. Russ is such a nice guy, though.

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't think that you can mix oil and water, Moo. Personality wise those two are on opposite ends of the spectrum. And for what it's worth, and personality aside, Maxim makes everybody else looke an amateur.

Mister Moo likes this.
  15. Mister Moo

+1

16. dmkerr

Sad, but true. It would be nice if Maxim's stuff was more readily available and a little more affordable but so it goes.

17. CraigH

CraigH Member

Gents,
    I am smoking my first bowl of Blue Mountain right now, I received it in the mail just today from LJ Peretti (along with a sampler of their house Omega blend). I also smoked 3 Oaks Syrian for the first time just last night. The Blue Mountain is very good indeed, but I used to smoke 759 and to me Blue Mountain is not in the same ballpark. As I said, it's very good in it's own right, but it's a rather mellow and light bodied blend. The 3 Oaks Syrian is a richer and more full bodied blend IMHO. I want to try Black House next, but the 3 Oaks Syrian will be staying in my rotation while the Blue Mountain will not.

Cheers and good smoking,

Craig

18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Lets get a contest to recreate Dunhill's Durbar :whis:

HCraven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.