1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Old Kaywoodie and pipe tool from a flea market

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwaugh, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

While in NJ last weekend I stopped by a flea market to look for pipes. Only one vendor had some and I picked up a very sad looking Kaywoodie.
    [​IMG]
    It cleaned up OK, but still has some burn marks and a very deep tooth mark on the upper stem. Click here for more photos and details. As you can see, I don't think the pipe had ever been cleaned. I'm going to see how it smokes before doing anything else to it, but for 3 dollars its worth a try. If its not a good smoker, I guess it would be a good practice specimen to try some stains on before ruining something more valuable....

[​IMG]

I also picked up a Richard's pipe tool/knife for 4 dollars, not in perfect shape but it works...

[​IMG]

-David

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

2 hole stinger?

3. dwaugh

It's a 4 hole stinger drilled in an X. Opening the holes was not easy, lots of toothpicks and soaking.... -David

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Nice old briar, that pipe tool resembles the Rodger's Pipe Knife I use.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

You've done very well and the elbow grease really paid off, David! That beauty shines!

6. woody

woody Admin Admin

Nice score :puffy:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

How does she smoke ?! Looks mighty fine now

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Mighty fine Kaywoodie once you cleaned it up. Whatcha gonna smoke in it?

9. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Nice work on the Kaywoodie! That gives me some hope for the lot of old pipes that I have coming from Ebay.

Another great writeup on you blog too. I'm still in awe of your stem polishing investigation. Anyone who's going to restore an old pipe should give your articles a read. Top notch work Dwaugh!

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

That is a sweet Pipe!! Well done! I like that knife also! Beale.

11. dwaugh

Thanks for the kind words, the still needs some work, but the stem, with its very deep tooth mark, will never look great.... Its too deep to sand out, actually it could be a defect in the vulcanite. At some point I may try to sand out all the burn marks and re-stain it. I hear shoe dye is the way to go.

Ruffinogold, I decided to try it out this morning with some PA, about 1/2 a bowl. It seemed to smoke OK, I've never smoked a pipe with a stinger, but it didn't seem to cause any problems. I figured I might might get some off tastes after all the cleaning and exposing parts of the pipe that have never seen the light of day, but it didn't. I guess it's too early to tell how it will ultimately smoke with only 1/2 a bowl under its stem. I think i will try some OGS in tonight. I do like how the pipe handles, its light, and the stem is shorter that most of my pipes, but that seems to be OK. -David

12. Maynard

Maynard Member

I have one ! the stinger has been cut off. but its a great Pipe and in my rotation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.