Old Smoking Stand

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by shardy53, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I inherited my Grandfathers small pipe collection and old smoking stand in 1986. I kept this stand and pipes on sort of display in my front entrance hall of my house since then. I recently took up pipe smoking and I have been wondering about this smoking stand. It is a small table about two feet tall and one foot by one foot square. It has a door that opens up and there is a copper lined compartment for tobacco I assume. I believe that it is made out of mahogany and at one time was stained but my grandfather painted it glossy brown. (so much for the prevailing wisdom of the fifties and sixties) I am not going to sell it but I was wondering what something like this was worth. I checked E Bay but they don't have anything like this right now.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Look underneath and see if theres an attached paper with the maker . I have one very similar to what you describe . It' from 1926 and is made of Walnut thats not stained , just finished . Many pipe stands and racks were made of Walnut . I've seen a few of Mahogany only

3. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Without seeing pictures, it's hard to get an accurate idea of its financial value. I didn't just say "value," because it clearly is worth more to you than any dollar figure that someone could apply to it. It's going to depend heavily on the condition, features, and possibly the maker. I've seen them go for $30 and up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.