Old Tins?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Beale, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

Once you open a tin and lets say put it all of it in a Mason Jar. Do any of you save the old tins? Just wondering, Beale.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Most everyone here is too friggin cheap thrifty to toss them. Nuts and bolts, screws, buttons, coins, wire nuts.......There's something that will fit in those tins.

I have two young girls, so there is always something being collected in them. The eight ounce Pease tins get bugs or frogs, the sixteen ounce usually start out as a drum, then get filled with crayons/markers, etc.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The older more vintage tins make nice "adornments" if you're into that sort of thing (adorn a pipe rack, take pictures for scale/size reference, etc.) I also use empty tins as impromptu ashtrays, "doo-dad" holders (screws, bolts, etc.), and anything else it can be used for. I save the labels to mark my jars so the actual blenders label and blend notes are with the jar.

Be creative, but if it's getting in your way, just recycle it. Older vintage tins can bring a few bucks on the bay......

Ed
    Puff

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I have a few older tins that I liked enough to keep, like a Squadron Leader tin with the more traditional label that holds spare change, and a Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium tin where I put my rag that is infused with Briar Pipe Wipe. I don't feel bad about chucking old McClelland or Rattray tins and others with paper labels wrapped around them. They're more like old soup cans, not something I want to keep.

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks all! Beale.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I used to always toss them but now that some blends are gone it bugged me that I didnt keep any . So now I save one tin from each blend . I dont have very many cause I not a huge tin buyer . I'm a 4-8 oz buyer of my favorite blends . It kills me to spend 14 bucks w/ shipping on a 50gram tin when 14 bucks could have got a good deal toward bulk . As Jpberg said ... Thrifty

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I keep Former 50g and Reiner 100g tins because they reseal very reliably; they get used for storing open tins of other tobaccos for month-to-month use.

8. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I bought my first tin this week. My has already claimed it lol.

9. akohtz

akohtz Member

I've saved one of each type of the metal tins I've smoked. They're hanging in a row on the wall in my home office. They look nice there. I figure each time I finish smoking a new tin, I'll add it up there.

The rest of the C&D tins are in the garage (as well as a few other metal tins I've soaked the labels of off for the hell of it). They're used occasionally when I need to store something. Come in handy sometimes.

One of the C&D tins is also in the vehicle as an ashtray.

- Andrew

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks guys! Some good ideas! I have saved all of mine so far. Beale.

11. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

They are so darn pretty, I hate to throw them away. So i keep them. What I will ever do with them I don't know.

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

My guitar case adorns the used labels. The
    rest of the tin gets recycled.

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

I've given them, along with old cigar boxes, to the kids. My daughter keeps her sillybandz and other "jewelry" in them. My son keeps rocks, coins, or anything else he may be collecting in them.

Another use we've had for them is geocaching. My son got into this a little when we did this as an activity in his Cub Scout Den last year. The tins make good keepers of whatever you're leaving behind.

14. alchemist

alchemist Member

I let my empties pile up for a while and then sell them as a lot on eBay.

15. akohtz

akohtz Member

Really? What do you get for them?

- Andrew

16. DocB

DocB Active Member

I will save mine after returning home, but for now, they get tossed. Too much "extra baggage"...

17. alchemist

alchemist Member

About a buck apiece, depending on the breaks. Just enough to get me to box them up and drive them three miles down to the Post Office. Anyhow, I don't want to keep them, and I don't want to throw them away, so...

18. akohtz

akohtz Member

Wow. I had no idea that people would be interested in empty tins that weren't vintage. That's cool though.

- Andrew

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

When I try out a new tobacco, I usually buy a tin. If I like it, and bulk is available, I keep the tin and re-fill it from the bulk jar. This keeps the tobacco identified and small enough for rapid transport.
    This works best with round, twist type tins (MacBaren 100 gm., etc.). If the tin doesn't seal well, it just goes away.
    Dan

20. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

They make excellent targets. Fill with water, put the lid on, cause a .357 hollowpoint projectile to enter the scenario, and much mirth will ensue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.