ON-LINE VENDOR QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RTOdhner, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've done business with Cigars International.com and Pipes and Cigars.com for quite a while. A little while back I got a catalog in the mail from Pipes and Cigars, and I noticed that their mailing address is 1911 Spillman Dr, Bethlehem, PA 18015. That sounded familiar, but wasn't sure why. Then I got a Cigars International catalog and I figured out why - their mailing address is also 1911 Spillman Dr, Bethlehem, PA 18015. It's the same address, but I never noticed this until now - and I've been doing business with them both for several years. If you look at their websites, you'll see both are formatted the same.

This leads me to believe that they are, in fact, the same company. I'm not sure why this is, since both offer cigars and pipe tobacco. However, CI has less pipe tobacco inventory than does Pipes and Cigars. Have they always been the same company? If not, when did they merge? If they recently merged, then why? Anybody out there have any idea why or when this happened?

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

They merged a few months back. They are now one and the same.

3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I think its more that they share the same warehouse...

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay Active Member

I'm sure it is a conspiracy

5. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I think it may have also had something to do with improving profit margins as well. One of those companies, can't remember which, was out of New York if I remember correctly, and their taxes (maybe gross receipts tax) was so high that it ate into the companies profits. My theory is that the New York company had an opportunity to buy into, our buy out the PA company and move their business out of New York State. A wise business decision in my view.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

No tinfoil hat this time around. I was just curious.

It was Pipes and Cigars that was out of New York. Cigars International has three really nice outlet stores. I've never been to any of them, but they look nice. I'm not sure how much of a pipe or pipe tobacco selection those stores had, but I'm sure it can now only improve - perhaps even selling Hearth and Home tobaccos from those stores. Now I'm really homesick for the Lehigh Valley.

8. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

It was simpler than that. Cigars International made an offer that the previous owner of pipesandcigars could not refuse, and the business was sold to Cigars International. Russ followed the business down to Pennsylvania, but that was about the only employee.

User3940 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.