on rotating pipes...

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by MrJarvis, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

I have currently got 7 pipes...

A bent sandblasted castleford I paid a little over a hundred bucks for.
    An unfinished un stained Erik nording signature with a deep wide bowl and rough uneven rim.
    (these two are my favorites)

I have a smaller cao eagle claw Meerschaum

Two strait pipes that were 30 bucks or less, one that has got a dark varnish on it,
    And one thats un finished and un stained, but has at least 3 visible plugs in it

And then two 30.00ish bent pipes, both sand blasted
    One with an uneven rougher rim and a more narrow bowl
    One apple that unfortunately has an air hole about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the pipe.

To date I have smoked a little of everything in all of them, ex. Skiff, navy flake, captain black, cherry, vanilla, raspberry, and Coco creme aromatics, and macbarens Virginia #1, plus a few others....

None of them have much cake yet, and before it gets to thick I want to start separating them out by type of tobacco.

So I have two questions...

One, I've heard to let a pipe rest 2 days after smoking... Does that mean if I smoke it at lunch I need to choose a different pipe for after work, or just that after that day is over I should put it away for a few? And how do you define two days. Is that I smoke on mon and then not again till wed or two actual rest days and pick up again on thurs?

2nd question is:
    Of the pipes I mentioned, will some of them be better suited for certain Types of blends, or is it just a matter of what do look do I like best with each taste/smell?

2. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

IMO 2 days is more than enough. I think about a day is good but im sure someone in this forum will say "smoke whenever u want with whatever pipe u want". I've only been smoking about 5-6 months now and what I found out is that all the things you hear n read about "how to smoke a pipe" is just guidelines. There is no "rule" that you have to follow, about how long you should rest your pipe for. There is no reason why not to use the same pipe again after couple of hours but giving them time to rest will prolong your pipe life and better quality smoke in the future. That said, I heard meers can take more abuse compare to briar.

MrJarvis likes this.
  3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

The "tradition" would be, yes, pick yourself a different pipe for your afternoon smoke. That said, many of our members would say "bollocks!" to that, and happily reload the same pipe a few times in a day. I don't often do it, but I'll occasionally do two bowls in a pipe and have not yet had any issues with it. Also keep in mind your meer doesn't need that rest time. It's recommended that you let it cool before repacking and relighting, but beyond that fill that one up as much as you like in any day, or perhaps make it your second pipe every day!

I swab my pipes with cleaners quite thoroughly after smoking so I generally consider 24 hours sufficient. If you want to give it a full 48 I'd go with what you first said -- that is, smoke the pipe on Monday, then you're good to go again on Wednesday.

If you're at all concerned about your pipes having sufficient rest time, by all means go out and get yourself a cob or two. They're super cheap, good smokes, and you can beat 'em up without worry.

As to your second question, I don't have much to offer since I'm still learning in that regard, but I have seen threads dedicated to that question. Do a bit of searching and you can probably find yourself plenty to read on it!

4. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

do you limit your meer to days when its not cold out? Ive heard conflicting reports on this.

I live in the pacific northwest, so its only warm here about 2-3 months a year, and smoking indoors is not an option. most days have a cool breeze going at least.

if Im going to smoke a meer, id like to give coloring it a shot as that makes it more fun for me....

5. Tony Malerich

I have not, no, that's a new one to me. I can perhaps rationalize why people would suggest that, however... I don't think I've ever braved smoking anything when frigid, but we had a very mild winter so I did a lot of outdoor smoking in rather cool (say, 40s) weather and this included my meers. I never had a problem. If you're concerned about it then perhaps avoid "freezing" cold, but "cool" ought be perfectly fine.

6. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

great. thanks.

do you color your meers, or avoid holding them or any of that?

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

As Sonsw87 said, there are no iron clad rules about pipe smoking. What seems to work for one person doesn't for another. Generally, I like to let a pipe rest for a day or 2 between uses but I have smoked one pipe 2 or 3 times in one day. If you do smoke one pipe several times a day for many consecutive days it might tend to get sour, smelly and nasty tasting.

As far as dedicating a pipe to a tobacco or type of tobacco, I used to but several years ago I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Unless you smoke a blend such as a Lakeland mixture that leaves a ghost I doubt it would matter. Again, other smokers might disagree with me because they do what works for them.

8. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

"Don't get too attached to things. Learn to let go." (anyone guess what movie? lol). Make your own rules and develop your own style. That is what i'm trying to do rite now. I must admite that it is not easy to learn how to smoke well. For me, I'm still having lots of problems while smoking and I really think it's because I think too much. Hope one day I can mindlessly pack a bowl n smoke without re-lits to the bottom.. one day..

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I often smoke the same pipe or two all day long, with absolutely no problems, the pipe will let you know when it needs a rest, I also keep bowl cake to a minimum in my pipes which requires less drying time between smokes but I will usually rest a pipe for a day or two after a heavy day of smoking, bear in mind I do not smoke heavily cased and moist aromatics.

DGErwin11 and Gary like this.
  10. snowman

snowman Member

You buy a pipe to smoke or you just might be a collector,Myself I am a pipe smoker and have been for a while now.I smoke 6 to 8 bowls a day and some days as many as 10 bowls and I use just one pipe.I run a pipe cleaner through the pipe between smokes.The next day I will smoke a diffrent pipe,My pipes get a 7 day rest.Enjoy your pipes and smoke what ever you enjoy.

Linus, cobbsmoker and MrJarvis like this.
  11. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

nice. do you smoke mostly the same thing in the same pipes, or the same thing every day, or do your daily smokes vary quite a bit?

12. snowman

snowman Member

I am mainely and aromatic smoker but I do move around some,I will smoke cavandishs,Burleys,And englishs with latakia and I use any pipe.

kb7get likes this.
  13. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

cool. thanks!

14. Tony Malerich

I try to get more color from the smoking than from my hands. As such I generally make sure my hands are thoroughly clean before smoking a meer (and really most any pipe since they just don't need gunk on the outside), but I've never gone so far as to wear cotton gloves/not touch the bowl as all.

15. Linus

Linus Member

So, if i get you right your saying "smoke as much as you feel like over the day, then give your pipe a proper rest"?
    For me who smoke 1-3 bowls in a day (also aromatics) could be able to manage with 2-3 pipes?

16. Linus

Linus Member

Personaly i dont keep track, i got 4 briars and one cob (the cob i dont really use), when i only had 2 briars i could sometimes feel/smell/taste that resting was needed, now i just pick the one i feel like, stuff it what i feel like, and then smoke it =) if i whould get a sour "feeling" of it i whould just put that pipe aside for 3-4 days.
    Maybe i do it wrong, but for me it feels right, and until that changes i´ll stick to that way (but possibly with a few more pipes in the unscheduled rotation) =)

17. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

People say at a minimum, 24 hrs. I say at a minimum of 48. People say it's because they want to make sure they don't burn through their pipe quickly. Actually, it's a moisture issue. Your pipe smokes best when it's dry. I define 2 days as 48 hours or the sun coming up, followed by the moon back to back, whichever happens first, lol. If you're in scandanavia, then the first would be better. :xd: Are you going to hurt your pipe? no. But it will get soggier & soggier the more you smoke it w/o resting & that's a recipe for a sour pipe.

Types of blends? Narrow chambers are best for rolling or folding flake. Wider chambers aren't as ideal. Wider chambers are more suited for rub flake or ribbon cut. Narrow can do the same as well, but it would be a short smoke. It's not the blends. It's the way the tobacco's cut. Also, keep in mind I like to smoke my drier tobaccos in a straight pipe because it'll gurgle & back wash less (99.9% not at all) than a bent. In a bent, gravity & shape are on your side.

I have 6 pipes, 3 of them are bent. One is a corn cob & another is a meerschaum. If you have a meerschaum it's like having another 2 or 3 pipes because that is a pipe MADE for mileage. Dries quickly, pourous, & the oils & moisture help age it. Corn cobs are another that adds mileage to briars as well as the respite they get between smokes. I only have the 6 & I'm going to drive them into the ground. I'll smoke my meer twice in a day when I take it out. My cob gets a few smokes in a day as well.

I'd say as far as blends go, it's not so much the style of the pipe, but if you have a really strong blend you'd like to take the edge off of, I'd suggest using a filtered pipe to smoke that blend. It's like adding an ice cube to really strong whiskey. I'd say if you want to smoke the same pipe twice in a day, or even 3 times, I'd pick up my meer or a cob. I'd go w. the meer.

18. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

My pipes, mainly cobs, get smoked multiple times per day. But I have enough that after a day of heavy use, they end up resting for a few days before the come up in rotation. Keep the cake to a minimum (you can't smoke cake), run a pc after each smoke and you will be fine. Basically just figure out works for you. If you follow the "rules" some would have you with 30 pipes, one for each day of the month. 60 if you smoke 2 bowls a day, and so on. Do the best you can with what you got to work with.

IrishRover and cobbsmoker like this.
  19. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Typically I let them rest 24 hours. I have on occasion smoked 2x within the same day with the same pipe with no troubles...
    Going by the rules, gives me a good reason to reach 60 pipes..... ;) .. but shhh, don't let SWMBO know the rules are more like guidelines, not really rules that are set in stone..

jason1977 and DGErwin11 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.