One concern about my first pipe...

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by lokismile, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lokismile

lokismile Member

Greetings all,

This is my Paroneli, my first acquisiton:

[​IMG]

She seems to smoke fine (from my limited experience) and I have been enjoying several bowls a day since I purchased it less than a week ago.

The kind owner of the local tobacco shop showed me the basics of bowl packing and cleaning care before I left the establishment. When attempting to thread with a pipe cleaner, he had to remove the stem to complete the threading.

He told me to be cautious of removing the stem too much, as it may loosen the seal. Secondly, he informed me to always turn it the same way, and of course, never remove while hot.

I've cleaned her several times since then, and with each attempt the pipe cleaner will not go through without removal. Every time I attempt to thread it while intact, it "hits" near the bowl and cannot complete the run. Looking at my picture, it seems it may simply be curvature of the design itself lending problems.

my questions:
    Is needing to remove the stem almost daily going to damage my pipe as he suggested?
    As a result, is this pipe actually defective?

I am going to speak with him today. gathering info ahead of time, however, as I want my investment to be a sound one conducive to years of use. Most importantly, I would like to know now if this issue warrants it being returned.

thank you.

Jeebs likes this.

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    A nice looking pipe you've got there! Enjoy it!
    Removing the stem properly, i.e. letting the pipe cool down and then carefully turning it in one direction only will not cause any problems, don't worry!
    As for the cleaner getting stuck half-way: The curved stem will also curve the cleaner so once it's through the stem, ready to go through the bowl, it might hit an "obstruction" if we can call it that. the thing is that the smoke canal for bent pipes is drilled at an angle to the shank.
    What you could try: Once you feel the cleaner stop turn it 180 degrees then try to complete the "journey". It should go in smoothly all the way.:bing:

lokismile likes this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

You should be able to remove the stem about 15 minutes after you finish smoking in order to do a thorough cleaning. During use, the pipe's briar swells slightly from the heat and moisture and it takes a while for it to cool and resume normal size.. I wouldn't worry about loosening the stem too often if are waiting for the "cooling off" period. I've smoked some of my pipes for 40 years and normal maintenance hasn't loosened anything yet. It's not uncommon for a pipe to be unable to pass a cleaner completely through the airway while the stem is attached. Just run the cleaner through as far as it will go during your smoking if the stem is getting a bit soggy and give it a thorough cleaning later.

Lestrade and lokismile like this.
  4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

This is true.

Some folks are real serious about never buying a pipe that won't easily pass a pipecleaner; I prefer that they do. For the few pipes I smoke that won't easily clear one to the heel I find the twisting/poking trick mentioned by Shadow, above, usually does the trick. If that fails, a slight pre-bending of the pipecleaner about an inch from the end (plus some twisting at the obstruction) always does the trick. Sort of like picking a lock.

That works, mostly. Worst case, outdoors, if you have a real drooler and no way a pipecleaner will get there, there is always the old "thumb over bowl and flip of the wrist "fwip" move" that sprays drool out the stem. Definitely not an indoor thing, that. Strictly a worst case move for me although some pipers go with the flip quite often.

lokismile likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I've got enough crap in my pockets without adding cleaners so while I'm out I always use the flick. Even when I'm at home I'll take a step outside and flick if i need to. Just less of a hassle IMO.

Back to OP, I wouldn't sweat it. Passing a cleaner is a good sign when buying a bent pipe so some folks won't bite unless it passes the test, but it doesn't mean a pipe that won't pass a cleaner will smoke poorly. If you're satisfied with the smoke then there's no problem.

lokismile likes this.
  6. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Beautiful pipe there for your first mate i wouldn't sweat it, happy smoking and enjoy. :)

lokismile likes this.
  7. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I like you pipe alot... real nice.... know it has been said.... jus let it cool before removing stem... have you tried a somewhat stiffer pipe cleaner... I've got a couple pipes.. I have to use a more sturdy cleaner for it to pass

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1 - Perfect advice! I'll also state that removing
    the stem after the pipe is cool will not harm
    the marriage of mortise and tenon.

lokismile likes this.
  9. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

A great looking first pipe! I have a bent Peterson which will not pass a pipe cleaner. I break it apart every night (after it is cooled) to clean it, twisting it on and off in a clockwise direction and I have never had a problem.

lokismile likes this.
  10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Beautiful pipe, happy smoking and enjoy!

lokismile likes this.
  11. lokismile

lokismile Member

Excellent feedback all. Many thanks.

I wills speak with my local shop owner at the Cigar Monkey; perhaps he can assist me in acquiring some firmer pipe cleaners. It is quite a relief to know that, while not ideal, simply separating the stem will not harm the mortise / tenon connection.
    I'm even more pleased with her now. Regardless it will be good to discuss with him, as I will acquire more knowledge (and have an excuse to possibly purchase a second pipe and try some aromatic :)

12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I have found that the problem is sometimes with the very end of the cleaner. the inner wire can be bent just enough, at the tip, that it can be sticking in the tight bends. That is why the turning thing can help.
    I've got an older bent Peterson that must be taken apart to clean. It's old and I've done it many times without causing a problem. Of course, it is imperative to let it cool down. It is a good idea to have more than one pipe. If you can't afford more right now, check out the cobs. that can allow your briar to rest. I've only got one briar and six cobs.

That is a very nice looking pipe you have there.

lokismile likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.