1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

One Pipe All Day

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by User3940, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Not sure how it happened but my collection is now up to 67 pipes. When I got up this morning I told myself that I was going to smoke one pipe all day. That means that I will only use one pipe and keep my normal smoking frequency, which is about 14 to 16 full bowls a day. I went out and looked at the rack and chose carefully so that I was assured that I would use a pipe that was predictable and dependable, and would smoke a variety of blends throughout the day with no huge rest between bowls. Meaning that it would be smoked about once an hour, and sometimes more frequently.

I chose an old Jobey that I have. I was apprehensive about doing this as I feared that the pipe would get rank tasting with no rest, or might overheat. No fears though. It performed well, tasted good, cooled quickly, and provided enjoyment throughout the day. I now know that I can continue to enjoy pipe smoking even if I had to go all the way down to one or two pipes.

Tomorrow I get to go back to the joy of standing in front of the pipe rack picking out which I want to smoke next.

67 pipes! How the hell did that happen? Oh well, I'll worry about it when I hit 100.

TedVig, MCSNYDER, BigJ and 15 others like this.

2. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I have smoked the same pipe all day every day for 9 days now.
    The thing is though, 9 days of me smoking 2 or 3 bowls is only equal to about 2 days for you.
    Seriously man, how do you smoke 14-16 in a day?
    I couldn't do that on a dare.

jdto likes this.
  3. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

That is what I thought, as well.

4. Jayson

Jayson Member

Wow that is a lot of Tobacco!

But actually I wasnt aware that I shouldnt be smoking my pipe constantly. Been burning 4 or 5 bowls a day through a corncob since Christmas day. Seems fine. Have ran a pipe cleaner soaked in Rum through the stem every night before bed.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  5. muddler

muddler Member

Many of the old timers had only one pipe which they smoked incessantly. Worked for them too.

K Williams, Tsalagi44, TedVig and 3 others like this.
  6. Super K

Super K Active Member

I use a cob all day during the work week while
    My grandfather owned two pipes, I would've loved to tell him his pipe needed to rest for a week before he smoked from it again. :xd:

7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Ex pack a day cigarette smoker. I neglected to say that they are normally small bowls or half bowls in larger pipes. I think I probably waste more tobacco than I actually smoke.

colorduke and dwaugh like this.
  8. Tongue Bite

Tongue Bite Member

14-16 a day is HARDCORE. Wow! Though I would love a sizable 60+ pipe collection.

I've only gotten into pipe smoking within the last 8-10 months, with fond memories of my paternal Grandfather's pipe smoking. As with most old-timers, he also owned just 2 pipes (both bent Dunhills, which sadly, were lost to me after his passing...ugh), and only smoked once or twice a day after work.

He lasted 50+ years of smoking with never more than 2 pipes. Yet here I am, not even a year into the hobby, and already the owner 6 pipes, with 2 more in the mail to my fiance's chagrin.

This is a comforting experiment here, Coastie. I hear so much about "letting the pipe rest", "building proper cake", and avoiding burnout which has launched my new found pipe-care paranoia. I've actually been fearful of smoking TWO consecutive bowls from the same pipe. The Savinelli insert even suggests owning "one pipe for each day of the week" in order to properly rest the briar. 7 days rest? Huh? Seems manufacturers have a huge hand in some of these myths.

I have a Savi 614 an hour into it's rest for cleaning right at this moment. In a salute to Coastie, The Old-Timers, and Wreckless Abandon, I'm refilling and havin-a-go.

Cheers!

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

My outlook.....they are made to smoke, so smoke em I will. If I burn one out, which is doubtful, then I have a reason to replace it.

I will say however that I work my pipes, but they are well taken care of after each smoke and I do not let cake build up past a dime thickness.

10. Tongue Bite

Tongue Bite Member

Damn straight!

11. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I have 6 cobs that I've Cob-customized, and use regularly in rotation. This is weird to me, as most of my collection is metal pipes.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  12. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre Member

I average around 3-5 bowls a day and will smoke more once summer gopher hunting season begins. I used 2 Brighams, one for aros and one for latakia blends, and a Meer. I run a cleaner through each one after a bowl and deep cleaning weekly without any negative reactions. The Meer I've smoked 3 bowls back to back while working on an old tractor last fall but it has really thick walls.

13. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Why?

Just thought the question needed asking.

I smoke anywhere from 2 to 8 bowls a day (and yes, I prefer small bowled pipes--Group 2 for the Dunhillians). Part of the pleasure I get from smoking pipes is pondering which tobacco I want to smoke and which pipe I want to smoke it in.

14. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Why? Well, I guess just because I was bored. :beck: That's like asking dwaugh "why". :shead:

15. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I decided to smoke one pipe all day today. Its going well so far...

colorduke likes this.
  16. User3940

User3940 Active Member

One reason that I did this experiment was to possibly develop an excuse to further my PAD. Rumor is out there that smoking briar without resting it is not good for the pipe. Never is a mention made as to what would happen to it. So, upon looking at my collection I realized that I have some pipes that I just don't smoke, and the wife does not know which ones I do smoke. If there was a pipe that I was yearning for, but knew the wife was not being real tolerant of my PAD behaviors, I could take one of my less than popular (to me) pipes and smoke the hell out of it for a day and cause it to explode, implode, break down, de-molecularize, or whatever it's supposed to do when abused. I could then take the pieces into the wife with a beat dog look on my face and proclaim how broken my heart is that "my favorite pipe finally gave out." She would then 1) ignore me, as she can do effectively, or 2) feel sorry for me and state that I need to order another. Now the wife doesn't know one pipe from another, so I could order the pipe that I was yearning for, and life would be sweet around the Coastie house.

But guess what. The damn pipe was fine at the end of the day. CRAP!

Highwayman, Ehrgeiz, Jwb and 2 others like this.
  17. Jwb

Jwb Member

I smoked my bjarne 3 weeks straight because I kept forgetting to take it out of my car. It got a good 2-3bowls a day thru it. It was a bit smelly at the end of the three weeks but a scrubbing with 100 proof and a bit of a rest and it is good as new.

18. Jwb

Jwb Member

Sage advice right there. Coastie may be the Dr. Laura of Pipe Smokers.

Tsalagi44 and Rodfather like this.
  19. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

All the old timers here where I live only smoke 1 pipe,worked for them for years.

Highwayman, critter and User3940 like this.
  20. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre Member

I've been tempted to pick an easily replaceable pipe and try smoking the hell out of it just to see if it would work. I'd look for something with thick walls, shorter stem, and rustic or sand blasted finish. Maybe this summer I will try it and see.

User3940 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.