One year and counting

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ozark Nick, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Been a little more than a year since I started smoking a pipe.

Couple months ago, everything was going fine. Then a little something changed — couldn't even really tell you what it was — but my enjoyment of the art went up several notches.

Since then everything's been going just peachy again. Settled on a favorite tobacco (Carter Hall) and a favorite pipe (Missouri Meerschaum Washington). And have just been enjoying the heck out of it.

Then this past week once again something has changed — I really don't know what (could starting to use half a filter really have that much effect?) — and again I find myself enjoying the hobby so much more.

How much better does it get? :puffy:

RTOdhner, Ol Brokedik, zirrow and 9 others like this.

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Congrats! Happy Pipe anniversary to you..

Lestrade likes this.
  3. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Wait 'til you get to the multiple orgasms.:beck:

WyoBob

RTOdhner, Albert, Ol Brokedik and 2 others like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont know if it gets better than enjoying the heck outta something , but it will last your whole life ! Not many things stick around that long . I started at 14 and now I'm 45 ... hopefully , Ill be enjoying it when I'm 90

snowman, Lestrade and IrishRover like this.
  5. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Certain things just "click"as you go along and the way you do something changes. Later on there's another "click" and so on.
    There are those memorable "Ah HA!" moments that you learn to replicate. Go slow and enjoy. For something that at first glance is just setting fire to some dried leaves stuffed in a hollowed out piece of wood there's a whole lot going on.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+1

7. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I think its a lot like shopping for a gun. You go to the store handling all the different types and styles untill.... you find one that just feels right.
    After years of enjoyment of that gun, you get to handle another that too... just feels right.
    Its a feeling you just cant put into words, you just know it, it has that something special that just connects to you.

RTOdhner and Preacher1611 like this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Congratulations on your 1 year milestone Nick and finding a pipe and tobacco combination that you enjoy, I've smoked the cob for 13 years now and still favor the Washington cob over all the rest, I'm also a fan of Carter Hall although I am starting to enjoy Virginia tobaccos a lot more, especially in a well-seasoned cob, guess you could say my enjoyment has went up a notch too! :)

9. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Congrats Nick! It only keeps getting better! :puffy:

10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Happy pipeversary, man!

11. snowman

snowman Member

Congrats, And yes it only gets better,Relax and enjoy.

12. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I'd be happy with just one.

ruffinogold and Johnny Dingo like this.
  13. Duke

Duke Member

I tend to think new pipers have a tendency to want to try every tobacco available for the sake of not missing out, or have an array of tony tobaccos to convey their savvy understanding of pipe tobaccos. That just isn’t for me. Generally, I find, I enjoy English blends in the autumn and winter and by spring to summer I find favor in Virginians and Vapers. But, I’m my happiest when I exclusively smoke one tobacco. For a couple of years, despite the fall and winter regimen, I smoked Hal O’ The Wynd. I knew how to load it, light it and smoke it. I knew which pipes smoked it best. I knew what to expect and that made me perfectly happy. I simply like consistency. I guess I’d call myself a pipe smoker and not a hobbyist.

cobbsmoker and Ozark Nick like this.
  14. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I really find myself craving simplicity and consistency in all areas of my life the last several years, pipe smoking definitely included.

cobbsmoker and RTOdhner like this.
  15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Congrats on your one year anniversary. I, too, enjoy simple pleasures, and the older I get the more I find myself enjoying simple things. Give me a pipe and some SWR or MacB tobacco, and I'm a happy camper. I like reading about my fellow pipe smokers who have had it all click for them, and who know exactly what they like, be it CH and a cob or a more high-end combination. Enjoy that Pipe Zen for all it's worth, my friend.

Ozark Nick likes this.
  16. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I started when I was 19, and my only regret is not being able to enjoy it with my dad, as he was a piper before my brother was born.....
    Happy 1 year pipe day, laddie!

17. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'm with you on this one Nick, I enjoy "simplicity and consistency" in life and pipes too and a cob full of Carter Hall is as simple and consistent as you can get in life and pipe smoking!

18. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Are multiple organisms possible?

19. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I find that given enough caffeine and busty redheads, damn near anything is possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.