Online/Over the border tobacco help

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ECross, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECross

ECross Member

Hello, I am quite new to pipe smoking but have fallen in love with it instantly. The only problem is the outrageous tobacco prices here in Canada. Does anyone know where I can buy cheaper tobacco online from Canada, if that's possible? I'm assuming it's not since it is still taxed the same. So, how much does it cost to buy bulk from the USA and get it mailed to me across the border? Is the fact that it is coming across the border going to make it not worth my time? Any help would be appreciated.

Eli

2. pottsy

pottsy Member

There are a couple of Canadian members on the board, that might be able to help you. Sasquatch, in particular comes to mind.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Eli you can order tobacco from online outlets, and it comes across the border and depending on the whims of the Gods it will be taxed for GST, PST (depending on where you are), Federal tobacco taxes etc. These are tacked on at customs and you pay them when you pick up at the post office. So you have to be ready to pay - don't think that ordering 20 lbs of Captain Black for 50 bucks looks too good to pass up because when you get to the post office and find that the thing is going to cost you $1734.00 in taxes it might hurt a little.

Even taxed, stamped, signed and delivered, it's usually well cheaper to go this route because you are missing out on the retail mark-up of a "real" store, which in Canada can be about another 10 bucks /50g. So my advice is to order amounts of tobacco which make sense to you, and which will work out in your favor when you factor in shipping as part of the cost. A single tin is going to cost 10 bucks to ship, so that's no savings, and bringing in 10 pounds at a time is going to hurt your wallet badly.

I'm going to shut this thread to avert a whole bunch of do-gooders suggesting a whole bunch of wacky ideas. This site is not to be used in any way to avert/thwart/skirt/side-step/outsmart the law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.