online shipping

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Joew, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joew

Joew Member

1st let me say I'm not a total cheapskate but while placing a online order for toby I had 12 oz of tobacco that came to $19 but the shipping was almost $11. I make fishing jigs and ship LEAD alot I can put 10 lbs of lead in one of those $5 flat rate boxes. I realize that a pound of toby wont fit in that box but does it really cost $11 to send less then a pound?

2. erickghint

erickghint Member

I think the higher shipping prices are there to justify the free shipping on orders $95-100+.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

It may not help much, but some sellers use the shipping to offset prices that may be less than they would otherwise charge. But to answer your question; no the direct costs of shipping a pound of tobacco shouldn't amount to $11. Most consumers would probably prefer to pay something closer to the actual cost of shipping.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Speaking as a guy who now ships quite a bit, I can say that the boxes I buy are 3.29 each, a bag of peanuts is 8 bucks or so, 4 rolls of tape is 8 bucks but lasts awhile, and expidited/priority postage is creeping up to where my total per pipe is something like 20.00, which I find to be completely ridiculous, but there it is.

The basic choice is "does my local place have this, and if they do, how much do they ask for it".

Or, buy a pipe with your toby, and get the free shipping!! :groucho:

5. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

Yeah, a lot of people forget that it takes a lot more to ship an item than just the cost of shipping, such as some sort of package, and some sort of protection inside of that package, which adds up over time. The company must pay for that stuff, too, not just the cost of shipment from point A to point B.

6. Joew

Joew Member

you can get your boxes free from post office and I will pay the $11 dollars it really is'nt that big a deal I just felt like I was waisting to much of my TAD account on shipping :)

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

At least you don't live in Austraia.

Duty for tobacco here is $400 per kg, so the savvy buyer will buy online at a site like 4noggins and hope that it slips by customs. Still, shipping starts at around $20 for me.

8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I ship a lot from ebay sales and for just shipping tobacco, that is way too much. I can understand a fancy pipe where you are making a presentation with a fancy box and such. I give my business to those that charge fair rates and bypass those that don't. It's quite simple really. Lack of small sales finally got through to JRCigars and they changed their method of shipping prices. A smart retailer get's this.

i

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If you don't like paying for shipping then order the total amount that rewards you with free shipping! It's that simple. If you only want 1 ounce of toby, your still going to pay a premium shipping price stuffing it in an envelope and using USPS. You don't pay the normal "letter rate" for First Class/Priority Mail because it is now considered a "bulky" envelope and the rate is considerably more. I know, I do this a lot! ;)

I also used to ship guitar forum products to generate profits to maintain the forums running (servers and bandwidth ain't cheap!) And though the package may say $0.85 on the stamp count the packaging is a hidden cost but also the time to package it up and ship it off are even more hidden especially if there is a paid worker doing these hidden feats.

Dont' complain about paying shipping especially when you are the one to decide to buy an amount that does not qualify for free shipping. That was your choice and no gunwas held to your head. If you feel a particular vendor charges unreasonable shipping feesthen don't support them with your patronage. But if you really want something, now, and only want a particular amount then you pay the price.

Be creative in your ordering! Get a few of your budz together and place a bulk order together. Get free shipping to one of the members and then split the cost of the distribution costs to the other members of the group. One hidden cost that you'll quickly realize is time. It took me about 3-4 minutes to process each of the products I was shipping at USPS and i'd ship between 20-30 at a time! That does not include the time to package or address/label, drive to the shipper, and stand in line or fill out any insurance paperwork let alone import/export paperwork.

I'll echo what SAS said about shipping fees. His packages come to me nearly completely covered in stamps (cool stamps SAS btw) he's not kidding about astronomical fees to ship a pipe from Canada to USA!

You want it? Now? You pay the price.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

So, there are actually boxes available in Canada?

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

High rate of shipping also offsets
    insurance claims of the shipper.

dp

12. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

When I shop online I compare prices after the shipping costs are added in, and also compare shipping costs vs. driving to a retailer that has what I want in stock. Yes I do figure fuel costs when I drive to purchase an item. This goes for other stuff besides toby, too....

13. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

This is what I do. Or, rarely, I buy enough tobacco to get free shipping.

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Some places only ship UPS now. When buying from these company's I usually have to figure if I buy 1 tin of weed it'll cost about the same for shipping.

You can sometimes get better pricing at the Native smoke shops. I paid 30 bucks and change for a pound of C&D Strawberry cavendish with 6 bucks shipping. It was 8 bucks cheaper then a few of the others...but I had to buy a whole pound....but I know I'll rip right through it.

15. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Not sure what you ordered, but Mars has a $6.95 flat rate for shipping. Bulk of my purchasing goes to Mike. Shop around.....

16. Joew

Joew Member

I will check them out thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.