Open That Tin!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Do it! Do it now!

Most of us have some tins of this or that stashed away for aging, for stocking up for the coming apocalypse, for stocking up before taxes and price hikes stop us from buying more tobacco...or just because we collect tobacco. If you're on this board, there's a good chance you have a special tin set aside for "a special occasion."

Often "the right time" never comes. Or comes way too slowly. Let's face it, tobacco is made to be smoked. And a tin of tobacco will last a long time...no special occasion I've come across so far has moved me to open a new tin of tobacco...more likely to celebrate with a fine cigar. Something I can only enjoy once is more befitting of a special occasion.

So pull out a special tin you're saving for a special occasion. You're alive, so enjoy it. The present moment is special enough!

I opened up the first of my tins of Kickin' Chicken. Luckily there are three left to age properly. Lets see what the past four or five months has lent this tobacco...then I can open another in a year or so and see how that time helps it further. Anyway, open that tin today!

2. Morse

Morse Active Member

Im in - tomorrow I think Ill crack into a tin of Solani Mystery X

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Kickin Chicken is one of my favorite blends, I love that spicy nic bomb!

Just yesterday I opened a tin of Royal Yacht that I'd had for a while, just not opening anything new until I put a dent in what was open. I gave up and cracked it, and it was delicious! Definitely one of my favorite blends now, and I can't help but believe that those couple of years in the cellar just made it all that much better! I'm not sure what that flavor is on top of those Va's, Tonquin maybe?

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I think it's similar to a spicier, less fruity, and stronger version of Erinmore. I don't pick up much of what I think tonquin is (I always think of 1792 when I think of tonquin - but I'm sure that's not the only flavor in 1792) but it's definitely got an old timey, classic "British" taste to it in my book

5. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Excellent advice nesta and I'll take you up on it! I have an unopened tin of McClelland #27 that I bought in 1999. I had planned on taking your advice and buying some current production #27 to compare it to but I never got around to it.

You're right! No better time than the present.

Thanks for the "push"! :toast:

6. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I popped open my tin of #27 from 1999 this morning. Had a bowl of it and it was pretty good. Much more mellow than I remember the other tin being. Sweet and cool is the best way I know how to describe it. I will be enjoying this from time to time.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

There ya go :th1:

Still, before you finish it, I think it would be neat to get a new tin of the stuff to compare :)

Buckshot likes this.
  8. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Only have 2 tins that I'm purposely "saving ". One is First Responders, which I'm saving for 9/11. The other is Stimulus Package, which I'm saving for when we get a new commander-in-chief. I'm really hoping to smoke that one this coming January!

9. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I've only got a tin of Peterson Sherlock Holmes I've been saving for absolutely no reason other than when I got it for B-day back in Jan. I decided to save it... I'll open it tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.