Order Up!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stinger4me, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

After doing some reading, I placed an order for some tobacco this morning. I enjoy Mac Baren blends so my order was for some Golden Extra and London Burley Blend. The order can't arrive soon enough for me to try a couple of new-to-me blends.

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I felt bad for this thread having no replies so I decided to leave one. Let us know when you get your order.

Johnny Dingo and Shootinok like this.
  3. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

It's always nice to try a new blend. Opening the tin, the first whiff, preparation and the first light. Hope these are to your liking.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I just smoked a bowl of those two, on two separate days. They're alot alike but different enough. I prefer the BLB but they're both nice.

5. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

In my opinion, both are excellent blends.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I like Golden Extra in a cob, but for some reason I think the Burley London Blend smokes best in a briar. Dunno why, but there it is. Both belnds are most excellent. They are quite similar to classic OTC's like SWR, Granger, or Carter Hall - and they should be. Mac Baren is a family-owned company in Dencamrk. In the 1950's, its president was a young man named Jorgen Halberg. In WWII, young Jorgen had found himself stranded in the United States, and could not get back to Denmark because it was under German occupation. So, he used his family credntials and went to work in various American tobacco factories during the war years. He like how we Americans blended our pipe tobacco blends, but thought we went cheap on the quality of tobacco. When the war was over he went back to Denmark with a brand new plan: introduce Burley-based aromatic blends to Europe, but use tobacco that was up to European standards. In return, he would offer Americans a light aromoatic blend like they were used to smoking, but with higher quuality leaf. The result was/is the famous Danish Aromatic, and of course the famous Mac Baren line of tobaccos.

Other codgers may cringe at the notion, but I think that Danish Aros and old school American OTC's are in the same class because of the shared heritage. SWR, Granger, Carter Hall, Burley London Blend, and Golden extra are all very similar blends, both in leaf and in the light use of flavoring agents. I think that this also applies to MacB's Scottis Mixture (the ready-rubbed form). The flavoring agents may differ depending on what side of the pond you're on, and the cut may be different, but beyond that they are all light aromatic blends that are not really deep or nuanced, and which require little thought regarding technique other than to remember to slow down a bit when smoking MacB blends.

7. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

RTOdhner; I would agree with you concerning the classic OTCs. My father smoked a pipe back in the 50's, Kentucky Club, Kentucky Club Mixture, Mixture #79. I can recall going into pipe shops back then and most of the tobacco available was either tinned on in boxes with the resealable pouches. He never smoked a corn cob pipe, Kaywoodies, Rogers and a Dr. Grabow. The order shouyld arrive by Friday or Saturday.

jpberg likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Jeez ..... two MB Burley blends ..... Ya gots good taste ;) I'm a GE Junkie , it's the ultimate go to

9. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

My most recent experience with Burley blends was Uhle's 255. I don't smoke it regularly but when I do it is quite a treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.