Oriental Blends With Mostly Latakia Are Hard To Keep Lit!!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dunhill93, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

I think that oriental blends that have predominately latakia in them are a bit harder to keep lit than normal english blends. I have some Frog Morton On The Town and it is much harder to keep lit than some of my other blends. I have to go through about 4 or 5 charring lights just to get the blend going while at the same time scorching my tongue just to have the ember die on me in like 15 seconds. I have dried this blend for quite a long time and it still gives me issues in the pipe. Does anyone else have any of these issues with latakia heavy blends?

2. jdto

jdto Active Member

I haven't had trouble with the lat blends I've tried. Dunhill London Mixtuee, SG Skiff Mixture and dunhill 965 all stayed lit very well for me. I have more trouble with some of the flakes.

3. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

oh ok, what flakes did you have issues with?

4. jdto

jdto Active Member

Having issues with SG Chocolate Flake as we type :p

5. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

that sounds like a picky baccy. especially since it has a casing in it. do you get any bite with that blend?

6. jdto

jdto Active Member

No bite and very nice flavour, despite having to relight it a half dozen times or more. This is after drying it for a long time, too.

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Either try a little more drying time, or it might be a body chemistry thing Dunhill. One of the reasons I love my Orientals and Lats is that they smoke so cool that I can't get them to bite me if I try, so I puff right away, and they hardly ever go out on me. (I know that's not good technique guys, I promise I don't char the flavor out of the blend by over-puffing, but I don't have to sip as carefully with them to keep them from biting.)

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  8. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Just a suspicion that you might need to tamp just a little more firmly and evenly after the charring light. If you are scorching your tongue then it's likely that you are packing a bit too loosely. Little changes can make a big difference.

9. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

your right, orientals and lats do smoke cooler especially compared to the dreaded virginias lol.

Rodfather likes this.
  10. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

i will try tamping harder, i think i may pack a little too lose because i use the 3 step method when it comes to packing but I do it a little soft due to the cut of the frog morton on the town and im afraid of clogging the air way on my pipe

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

There's all kind of methods of getting tobacco in to a pipe. I just put the pipe in my pouch or tin and use my finger to pull the tobacco in to the bowl. Gently at first and a little more firmly as the bowl fills. Sometimes it looks like it's overfilled when it comes out of the pouch but a charring light and a quick tamp levels everything out. Whatever works for you is right for you.

Rewster66 and Dunhill93 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.