Orientals whats your thoughts on them?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Scottly, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

RRR is excellent. Davidoff Royalty is another one to try.

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

RRR is excellent. Davidoff Royalty is another one to try.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nobody's perfecy. :D

I always have to retype the word "moisture". First attempt and it comes out mositure. :ohyh:

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Hey! I do the typo spotting around ear!:confused:

dwaugh likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Fill a bowel with Conder and relacks! :D

dwaugh and Old Ted like this.
  6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

All my life - I've had an on-off relationship with these mixtures, when at the B&M for my regular stuff - I will get a tin of 'Punchbowle' or 'Presbyterian', and it will last a month or more......but when I do get the urge for something with a little Lat. or Orientals - it's there. If you have access to a few blending tobaccos - it can be fun experimenting with your own custom mix!.
    OT

Scottly likes this.
  7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

They can be most sensitive to pipe selection and, aromatic-like, they may ghost a pipe in a way that demands good cleaning to banish to taste if you decide to move the pipe back to non-english blends. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe is a light, lovely intro; Rattray's Red Rap is strong middle ground. Presbyterian Mixture or Penzance (if you can find any) may be your last two stops. I like the range - depends on the mood. You can't beat a clean meer for revealing what's what with an oriental.

Lots of related discussion: https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/in-search-of-the-perfect-latakia-blend.8885/

Scottly likes this.
  8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

"C'est la vie said the old farts - which goes to show you never can tell":whis:

9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I like Robert McConnell's Oreiental. It tastes like an English blend except it doesn't have Lat.

Scottly likes this.
  10. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

To date, I've only had Orientals with Latakia, but I have a tin of Classic Samsun in the cabinet awaiting my attention. It took a while for me to develop an appreciation for them, but now I find that they round out a number of blends quite well. They definitely hit a distinctive note which is a bit tangy - this balances well with the depth of the Latakia. I'm not sure how they'll work with just Virginia, but experimentation is part of the fun.

Looking around at bulk blends, there's McClelland 2020, 2025 and 2050 with no Latakia and 2045 has a little. I'm sure there are plenty more.

11. Scottly

Scottly Member

Thanks to everybody for the recommendations.:th1: After much consideration, I now have a tin of Classic Samsun and a tin of Sunday Picnic. The tin note of Samsun has made me load it up first. I am liking it. :snork:

12. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I think that P&C may still have a sampler of McC's regular orientals, that range from 1, mildest, to 14, strongest for a great deal. I've been working through them and am definitely enjoying them!

Scottly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.