Orientals

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user3610, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3610

user3610 Member

Thanks to Squadron Leader, I'm finally realizing what oriental tobacco tastes like. What are some other oriental-forward tobaccos? Seems as though they all contain Virginias too. Are there any that are nearly all oriental/no Virginias?

jason1977 likes this.

2. muddler

muddler Member

Most contain Va's. Why not explore McClellands Grand Oriental series? Different orientals have vastly different tastes.

Jussto, JRobert and PipeWife like this.
  3. Johnny

Johnny Member

You can get the different Oriental blending tobaccos to get a feel for how each taste and would do in a blend. Could even make yourself a nice little mixture

4. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

I feel as if orientals play off other tobaccos, or add to the blend a little something. I dunno if they could stand quite as well without a virginia or burley to be there. Kinda like you wouldn't want a TON of perique in a blend.

5. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Also, as muddler said, The oriental leaf's taste varies considerably depending on where it's grown, try blends with different kinds.

6. RS422

RS422 Member

Iike tons of perique in my blends.:beck:

7. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Well, if there was no VA in a blend with orientals, there'd be like 50% of it. I'm not sure you'd like 50% perique in a blend ;)

8. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

I just started doing this myself. Somehow, the one I've opened so far just tastes better in my lattice-carved (Turkish block) meerschaum.

9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I love McClelland's Oriental Mixture #1. McClelland's does a good job with Orientals & Virginia's.

Oriental's and Perique are condiment tobacco's. Meant to blend with something else. By themselves it would kinda be like eating a bowl of relish with no hotdog to go with it.

10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Esoterica's Margate is oriental and latakia. A mild smoke at a fair price. And, it's always available.

Rodfather likes this.
  11. RS422

RS422 Member

I smoke Cool Hand Fluke which has 40% perique. My favorite tobacco.

SouthBound likes this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Hearth & Home's Sierra Nevada is a virginia/oriental/perique blend that is VERY oriental forward. And excellent.

Another is C&D's Oriental Silk.

Both are in my rotation. And yes, oriental/turkish tobacco by itself would be pretty unexciting.

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'd recommend the McClelland Oriental's sampler at Pipes and Cigars. I can't link to it, just go to their site and look at their tinned tobacco samplers, I doubt you'll be disappointed!

14. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Robert McConnell's Oriental has no Perique or Latakia. It has little or no Virginia or burley.

15. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Frog Morton "On the Town"

16. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

Star of the East, Rajah's Court, Durbar (discontinued) are all pretty oriental forward. Also, McClelland 2020 Bulk is pretty special with a little age on it.

Edit: SOTE has more Latakia. Technically an Oriental, but not what people think of. 2020 has no Latakia but some fire cured tobaccos. Rajah's Court is supposedly the equal of Durbar, but it isn't quite the same.

17. Scottly

Scottly Member

McClelland Classic Samsun is a fantastic blend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.