Orientals

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TheModernGent, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

So, my favorite styles of tobacco are English and Balkan blends, and over the past 6 years I have enjoyed my fair share of different blends. As my taste for tobacco has refined over the years, I am finding that I think I may have such a fondness for these blends because of the unique spice imparted from the Orientals present. That being said, I would like to try some very Oriental forward blends, or blends where the Oriental's really shine. I know that tastes is subjective, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

-TMG

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

McClelland's Mixture No. 1 and N0. 6 (Green Labels).

3. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Peretti's # 40 is about the best I have had. The two new ones I'm smoking this week is McC Grand Orientals Yenidje Highlander and Robert McConnell's Oriental. They are good, but be warned, very mild. RRR is a good choice for more flavor. Most orientals need to be sipped slow to get all the flavor from them. Another very good one, I think is 3 Oaks Syrian. All kinds of different tastes in that one.These are about the only Orriental forward I have tried. They are interesting, but don't go hogwiled buying a bunch or you will be stuck in mildville. #40 does have a great flavor, tho. Very Highly reccomended.

4. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

As a side, Peretti is in Boston, I'm sure you know. There Royal Blend is top shelf as well. An English that has a fair amount of Yenidje in it. Very, very good. Brings back memories of some of the blends smoked back in late 60's and 70's.

5. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

Thank you both very much for the suggestions :)

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Aside from what's already been mentioned:

C&D Oriental Silk
    McClellands Virginia #24 and Samsum (classic oriental collection. The Drama is good, too).
    SG Sam's Flake

7. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

Thanks Kerr. I have some Classic Samsun now and enjoy. It's the only one I've tried though (besides RRR). I like it

8. dmkerr

Samsun is the most "oriental" of the Grand Oriental series. Or maybe it's just the most different. You might try the Soukhoum as well.

TheModernGent likes this.
  9. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

McConnel's Oreiental

10. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

Thanks Arkie

11. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

You might consider getting just Oriental tobaccos alone, not in a mix, and trying them. I have some Izmir and Smyrna that I've used for blending and occasionally smoke by themselves. (I started doing that to see if I could learn better how to identify the components of blends.)

WalkinStick likes this.
  12. furious

furious Junque collector

+1 on the Peretti blends, especially Royal which is one of my favorites.

YAPPG likes this.
  13. mockturtle

mockturtle Member

I recently tried McClellands Oriental Cavendish. I think the reason I bought it was because it didn't have any latakia and I was wanting something that highlighted orientals. Found it at SmokingPipes in the bulk section. Overall it was an enjoyable smoke. It was a nice (in my opinion) balance of sweet and spice, although I read reviews where some thought the sweet was too much.

I'm glad you posted this. I've also been wanting to try some more unique, oriental-forward blends.

14. Biggles

Biggles Member

+2 for Perretti's Royal.
    Dunhill's London Mixture is nicely oriental-forward to my tastes and a lot of shops stock it.
    C&D's #166 Turkish is good too and fun to have on hand for DIY blends.

15. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I had one of the McClellands Orientals but I can't remember which one it was. Green label and it was good. I might have to revisit these.

16. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Fr Dempsey Blend - Kramer's Tobacco

17. briandevlin

briandevlin Member

C&D Billy Bud a geat blend

Sent from another galaxy using Tapatalk 4 beta

18. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I love Early Morning Pipe from Dunhill. I'm taking notes on some of these others, as I'm very keen to try a couple other oriental blends. I recommend EMP, good luck finding a great tobacco!

19. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

McClelland Oriental #14, and Pease Lagonda. The orientals in the Lagonda are just lovely.

TheModernGent and dmkerr like this.
  20. dmkerr

I tried to stay away from blends containing latakia, but I'd add GLP Charing Cross to your list, both of which are excellent examples. CC really brings the oriental!

TheModernGent, YAPPG and jpberg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.