Orlik golden slice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WVDAVE, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Member

I've been smoking OTC like CH, PA, and got some Blue Mountain this week and just love it. I want to try a virginia and was wondering if this is a good one to start with? Is there something else that would be better to start with?

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Never had OGS, but have heard a lot of good things about it. I have had Rattray's HOTW, and it is great... supposed to have some perique in it as well, but like most people, I can't tell that it has much in it.

3. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

It gets my nod for sure. IRC VaFlake is good too it but rounds out a little different, plenty of people boast of dunhill flake, it's decent too.

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Orlik Golden Sliced is a nice Virginia, easy to come by and at a decent price. I like Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster better, but it is harder to come by and a little more expensive. Dunhill Flake is also very good. There are many good Virginias, but these are probably at the top of my list with HV being my all time favorite smoke.

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

OGS is definitely good stuff, a well behaved flake that is a great introduction to flake tobaccos if you are just getting in to them. I believe it is a Virginia/Burley blend, so although not a straight Virginia, it should give you some idea about the type.

Definitely try different packing methods and amount of dryness when you get yours in.

Oh, and it's really reasonably priced to boot!:thu:

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Oh yeah, OGS is a good one for sure, and it's pretty cheap to boot

7. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

OGS is labeled as a blend but it tasted like straight Virginia to me. It smokes cool and dry without any bite and leaves a dry, pale gray ash. I wasn't really impressed with the taste but the stuff is very popular so a lot of smokers must like it. It is relatively inexpensive and it doesn't have humectant in it so it's not a bad choice.

8. blackdog

blackdog Member

It is a good quality toby, but there just isnt enough flavor there for me compared to other offerings, but its a great place to start and see what you like.

9. Iain

Iain Active Member

Just ordered some OGS to find out what it's like.

10. blackdog

blackdog Member

If you find out you like it, PM me, I have a couple tins I wont be smoking.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

It's one of the best in my book. Just take out a flake or two, let it dry for about 15 or 20 minutes, rub it out, and then fill your pipe and light. Just wonderful stuff.

12. raf66

raf66 Member

It's an excellent blend. Doesn't burn as hot as some VAs and it has a nice, light flavor profile. It's a good introduction to VAs, IMHO.

13. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I really like OGS a lot, but for my money the McClelland's virginias (no. 22, no. 24, no. 27, etc) are the sweetest, most amazing smokes ever. Definitely my favorites. They have so much flavor, and that flavor changes so many times as you're smoking down the bowl. Which reminds me, I need to go buy another tin of No. 24.

14. blackdog

blackdog Member

#24 is quite good, as is C&D opening night which has my vote...

15. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Golden Sliced is a lovely, light, flake Virginia. I could imagine it not being your favorite smoke (it isn't mine), but it is hard not imagine not liking it at all. It is a like a good hamburger - maybe not the sexiest thing out there, but it is always good and never fails to satisfy. A very pleasant smoke.

16. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

OGS is one of those favorites for me... It's the first Virginia Flake I tried, it's the first to make a buddy of mine throw up, and it is the first I recommend to people due to its price and availability. I just finished a 100g tin of it last night and almost ran back inside to grab and open another.

17. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

OGS is a good one to start with. From there go on to Dunhill Flake, Fribourg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR Flake and of course Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake.

18. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

All these beatiful VA's to try. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:bing:

Mington likes this.
  19. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If you don't have this one deep, you probably don't like it much or feel you'd only go thru 3-4 tins in your future smoking.

Bulk priced in tins!

Ed
    Puff

20. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

One of the best starter VAs out there! Easily, one
    of my top three, and I have about 4 pounds of it
    now (in 50g tins).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.