Orlik Golden Sliced Comparables?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Summit, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I was gonna smoke a lat blend this morning when I saw an unopened tin of OGS calling my name. I cracked it open and fired up a flake. A golden slice of heaven I say! I will order a 100g tin next go around. I am also looking for some comparable tobaccos and they don't necessarily have to be a flake either. I am pretty sure I have seen this question asked before but I am gonna throw this out there anyhow!

2. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

Any of the other Orlik Golden Virginia Flakes are similar enough, but there are subtle differences between them: Escudo, P.S. Luxury Navy Flake, Dunhill Flake, Erinmore, etc.

Summit likes this.
  3. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

patriot flake and Hamborger Veermaster from Dan tobacco

Summit likes this.
  4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

My top three have already been mentioned, Dunhill Flake, Hamborger Veermaster, and PS Luxury Navy Flake. They are all super tasty! I think there is a Newminster Navy Flake of some sort that is pretty good too, IIRC:)

Summit likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

In my opinion, for the money, the 100g tin of OGS is the best tobacco bargain out there...$12 for 100g vs. $10 for 5og of most other tobaccos. I buy the 100g tins, then rub out half, and put the other half in a jar. Then I keep the ready rubbed stuff in the tin, ready to go...

Summit likes this.
  6. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

I should clarify that it seems to me that the "subtle difference" between P.S. Luxury Navy Flake and Dunhill Flake is about $4, not the ~5% Perique, which is hard to notice until you've been smoking it for a while. Erinmore is the wacky one of the bunch, perhaps up the alley of the resident Oompa Loompa, ruffinogold.

Summit likes this.
  7. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

I have no suggestions, but glad to hear you liked it since I bought a tin yesterday to try.

Summit likes this.
  8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If I'd found "a golden slice of heaven" I wouldn't look for an alternative (especially one that costs nearly twice as much!:ohyh:)
    OT

Jussto, Coda, DaveyBoy and 1 other person like this.
  9. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

OGS has quickly moved up into my top 3..........I had a couple bowls last nite with some Aberlour 16 Double Cask.The citrusy notes in this tobacco just go so well with the fruit in a Speyside Scotch......it's a match made in heaven thats for sure.I also love it paired up with a quality bourbon.I've yet to find a good whisky that OGS does not compliment.

Now for comparables...................WHY???? I buy the 100 gr tin for about $12,very reasonably priced IMHO.

Ron

Yankee Bill and Summit like this.
  10. pipealicious

pipealicious Member

Erinmore mixture comes pretty close to OGS.

11. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 100gm tins come in very long rolled up flakes, whereas the 50gm tins have the smaller, more traditional sized flakes?
    Was smoking some at our monthly "cigar" night about a year ago and another member had some very good tawny port that smelled almost the same as the tin note and was a perfect pairing for OGS. He said it was over $20 and extremely had to find, just as well I can't remember the name of it.

12. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Good point OT! This will most likely become a staple of mine. That being said I am still a newb and want to try a bunch.

Smithy and surlysoul like this.
  13. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Short of something available in bulk, I don't think there is a better value flake around

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.