OTC baccy questions

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by mad goose, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad goose

mad goose Member

With all things being equal, what's the easiest otc baccy to keep lit, smoke cool and tastes great, and do all these drug store brands fall in the category of aromatic, and if not could some one break them down.

Thanks

2. Bent

Bent Member

Mad Goose,
    I find all OTC's to burn nicely and evenly, but some have less PG and moisture than others so they will burn a little faster, like Prince Albert.

I consider all OTC's to be aromatics, but they range from lightly aromatic to goopy and sickenly sweet, it will take some trial and error to find the one for you (or maybe you'll like them all)

Many, if not all, of the OTC's are burley and virginia based. Now, as far as qualifying them, you will find many differences of opinion here because everyone's pallet is different, but here's an attempt:

Super sweet: Captain Black (all varieties), Smoker's Pride (all varieties), Middleton's Black and Mild and Gold and Mild, Borkhum Riff Cherry Cavendish

Sweet: Middleton's cherry, Carter hall, Borkun Riff Whisky and Cherry Liquor, Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla/Vanilla

Little to moderately sweet: Prince Albert, Half and Half, Sir Walter Regular

There are lots more I can't remember of have not tried, this is just a basic list to give you an idea and hopefully give you enough to get started.

Dutchking22 and mad goose like this.
  3. mad goose

mad goose Member

4. mad goose

mad goose Member

Thank you Bent. Just what I was looking for.
    I think I will try some Prince Albert first.

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Get some Carter Hall and Prince Albert and a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs to start with and you will be well on your way to OTC smoking bliss! :)

Chuck S and ol gto like this.
  6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

In my book there are 3 OTC's you can't go wrong with, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Sugar Barrel, but like everything else in life, YMMV.

Elwin and ol gto like this.
  7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

definately Condor RR in my case! ;).....but your OTC's may vary! :byg:
    OT

Spam and Mington like this.
  8. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Don't forget granger,velvet,ky club.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1

10. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, Middleton's Cherry and Carter Hall are the only ones I like. PA is ok. If those are unavailable, I get some bulk blends (the stuff in glass display jars) at a local baccy shop.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. mad goose

mad goose Member

Thanks for the recommendations fellas !

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

They're all pretty cheap ... try em all over some time . If they quit making Middletons Chery Blend , SWR and SWRA ... I'd have to become president [ which I really dont want to have to do ] .. so's I could sign one of them there executive orders .. makin them boys go back to work on those blends . Yeah , President Ruffino .... it would be a different country :ohyh:

dwaugh, ol gto, RTOdhner and 2 others like this.
  13. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

You would have my vote.

14. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

You've got my vote John! :th1:

15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Ruff for Prez... vote early, and vote often!

Mington likes this.
  16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Do you want cash or baccy as campaign contributions?

17. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

You've got my vote Ruff!

18. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

As an Olde Fart who took a long hiatus from pipe smoking, I can offer $0.02 worth.

First cent: Until one (re)establishes a pipe tobacco palate, the differences between some of the OTC blends may not be noticeable. I was smoking cigarettes before I took up the pipe again, so I could not really taste or smell anything.

Second cent: Two corn cob pipes is probably at least four too few. One needs to give them plenty of drying out time or they will swell up and crack. (I didn't and they did.)

Darkly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.