OTC burley blend for creating cake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by PickingLeaves, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

My new pipe is coming in within a few days and I really want to start it good by creating a good cake, I also want this to go as fast as possible so I can get around to smoking some of my more meditative blends in the pipe. I sort of need a tip for a good OTC burley blend since I'm not too sure the pure burleys can be found without going trough a long ordering process where I live. My thoughts was to go with the Borkum Riff - Genuine Pure Tobacco that doesn't have anything added to it from what I can tell. It should also be readily available as I see it which is good for me. Any other suggestions?

I've also given Solani - Aged Burley a thought, what do you think about this and how good is it to use a flake when caking a pipe?

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I usually use PA. Most of the time it can be found in a local B&M.

whitebriar likes this.
  3. Artistik

Artistik Member

I break in all of my pipes with Carter Hall.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Prince Albert does the best job of any tobacco I've found. Maybe it's the crimp cut. Provides a quick cake that is incredibly robust.

whitebriar likes this.
  5. Johnny

Johnny Member

I like to use Prince Albert, 5Bros and Storm Front to build cake in my pipes. I've heard that burley builds a softer cake than Virginia does but I haven't noticed a difference

6. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

My experience is that it does a little. I can ream a pipe dedicated to burleys quicker than one devoted to Virginias. The difference is not enormous, but noticeable, to me, anyway.

7. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

Thank ou all for the responses, I went to another store since the pipe I wanted couldn't be ordered and was given the advice to cake with Davidoff Green Mixture. I think it will do the job for me and it does smell really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.