Other Methods of Packing a pipe?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Luke, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke

Luke Member

Looking to expand my pipe smoking technique a bit more. Since I've started pipe smoking I've use the good old three step packing method, first press it down gentle, then slightly firmer, then firm, and its worked well for me. Just out of curiosity, what are some other methods of packing a pipe and what advantages do they offer?

Svart likes this.

2. Svart

Svart Member

Here is a youtube video of David Mc Grane, and his method of filling a pipe.

MakDragon, Morse and Ted Vig like this.
  3. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Bye bye, talk to you again...

4. Svart

Svart Member

Check the youtube video that I posted for you

5. Luke

Luke Member

Watched :) Will be having a pipe in a bit, I plan to test that method

Svart likes this.
  6. Morse

Morse Active Member

I've posted this a couple of times - its My preferred method. I also like the cannonball method - roll the tobacco into a all in your palms and then insertinto bowl leaving an air pocket beneath. Similar approach.

Svart likes this.
  7. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

el guero likes this.
  8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

When I was in New Orleans about 20 years ago I happened into a small pipe and tobacco shop while walking in the French Quarter. It was an amazing place, almost magical. In a movie, I would have turned to look back after the shop visit and it would have disappeared, maybe turned into another of the many souvenir shops in the Quarter. (By now it probably has changed -- into a Starbucks -- but that isn't magic.) Anyway, there was an elderly fellow there who said the shop had been run by his father and, I think, his grandfather before him. I bought a pipe from him and some tobacco. When I started to fill the new pipe using the pinch and layer method I had been taught he took the pipe from me, saying something like, "No, no, no -- THIS is the way it is done."

He then took a huge pinch of tobacco from the bag, using all five fingers. He held the pipe with the stem pointing straight away from him with the bowl parallel to the floor pointing at 3 o'clock. He put the bowl up to the pinch of tobacco, which he was forming into a kind of a tube with his fingers and then he worked the pipe back and forth. The stem was pumping up and down like someone trying to get water out of a well. The tobacco was kind of pulled into the bowl (I know, I know it's hard to picture if you haven't seen it). When he finished and pulled away the balance of the pinch -- there was a lot left over - the bowl looked like it needed a haircut or was ragged lawn. Light, tamp and re-light and then...it was good. :bing:

Have to admit I don't use this method all the time. Often I mindlessly fall back to the pinch and layer method I can do in a stupor, but when I do use it the smoke is very even, the draught is good and I enjoy it.

9. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

It's kind of hard to picture exactly what you are describing with this method, but it sounds interesting. Would you say it is similar to the method in the video posted above by Svart? It sounds like the same concept.

10. Coastal Bend

It does seem pretty similar. In the video he puts the tobacco in his palm, my guy would take a big "gob" of tobacco -- I mean far more than will fit in a bowl -- and place the bowl next to the "wad" of tobacco he held in the fingers of one hand and "pump" the pipe with the other hand. It's just the stem that moves up and down and honestly, it pulls the tobacco in like a vacuum. The guy in the video "tops off" the fill with more tobacco. My guy would have an almost "overfull" bowl when he pulled away the balance of the tobacco. It may be an unintended side benefit, but the strands that stick up when the balance is pulled away make the lighting easier.

dwaugh likes this.
  11. Rockabilly J

Rockabilly J Member

I've gotten into the habit of just stuffing the bowl. Seems to work for me. However, I've used the method shown in the previously posted video with great results.

12. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Looks like we need another video! :poke:

Fbones24 likes this.
  13. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I tried that today, moving the pipe up and down really did seem to help the tobacco go in. I've often twisted the pipe to help things got in, but this method seemed to really work. I'm smoking a something that I haven't in a while and it probably needed more airing out, but I'll try it again. Anyway, your story about meeting this guy in New Orleans was really interesting regardless.

WAMPipe13 and Coastal Bend like this.
  14. Coastal Bend

I'm glad you were able to try it, dwaugh. It's a method different from most I had learned to that time (and by then I had been piping 20-something years already). Since I responded to this thread about "Other Methods of Packing a Pipe" I have started using it again a little more. It's pretty easy, unless your tobacco supply is low, and it does seem to give a good, even smoke. Maybe it lines up the strands of tobacco differently than from other methods I use, like layering. Anyway, everyone should understand I'm not getting commission on conversions to this method. :xd:

Oh, and I had thought how a video would help the "visual learners" among us. The drawback is that I have never taken or posted a video and would have to learn the whole process. :doh:

WAMPipe13 and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.