Otr Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Unforgivin, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Just wondering, are your regular OTC tobaccos like PA, CH, CB, and others of the like considered Virginina tobaccos of sorts or is there something else that seperates them.

For instance.. Prince Albert is from J Middleton co. in PA.

Is that considered a Virginia tobacco?

PS: I put OTR in the title cuz I'm a douche at times. I got my over the counter and over the road mixed up.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

PA is a burley tobacco, CH is a burley blend, CB is a burley/virginia blend. A virginia tobacco is Red Cake for example.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Prince Albert and Carter Hall are both burley leaf weeds. Few if any OTC are straight Virginia leaf. Burley and Virginia are two of the most popular types of tobacco grown around the world. Other types like Latakia and Orientals are generally, but not always, used as a spice to alter the flavor of Burleys and Virginias. There are different varieties of each which bring their own flavors to the bowl as well.

Have a look here for more info.

4. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Ahhh....OK. Didn't know what the distinction was between them, and looking at the little boxes/pouches tells very little.

Just a sample of things that float through my noggin on a daily basis.

Thanks Marc! :bing:

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Great link, and thanks. I didn't know if the names, or classes if you will, were given to them because of style or where they were grown.
    :bing:

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

For simplicity you could say CB, CH and PA are burley blends because the bulk of their base tobacco is burley.

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

OK, that helps as well. Thanks! :bing:

8. SBritton

SBritton Member

All I use for a general smoke is CH! WHEW! That is good stuff. Like a nice meal.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Very useful link! I just found out that most Virginia tobacco is actually grown if Africa! from the article:

Where Is Virginia Grown?
    VA's are grown all over the world. In the United States, the various Virginia-producing regions are referred to as "Belts", but this tobacco can be found in countries like Canada, Brazil, India, China, and the African countries of Tanzania, Malawi, and especially Zimbabwe. This last country, in fact, accounts for much of the world's VA production.

10. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Yep, everyone pretty much hit it on the nose. Virginia and Burley are types of tobacco. Virginia is a yellowish colored tobacco and varies in taste from tart and citrisy to mild and sweet, depending on how long it has been aged. Burely is a deep brown color and more of a filler tobacco. It varies in taste from bland to nutty/hearty depending on the quality. Most cigarettes are mainly comprised of burley tobacco.

11. nobler son

nobler son Member

As I never get much of a nic hit from Burleys, I'm guessing cigs also have a fair bit of, ah, chemical enhancements?

12. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

That's one of the things I was wondering about. IE: if it was type or place.
    :)

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Mucho Grass Gentlemen. Lots of good info and my questions were answered.
    :) :)

14. Brian

Brian Member

Bingo! Cheap, mass-farmed Burleys. Burley tobacco takes up flavors and additives better too, which is why it is often the base for aromatic pipe tobaccos. Bland being good in that case so you taste the flavoring.

I laugh now thinking about this, because it is so not politically correct from today's standards. When I was in High School in northern Virginia in the 1980's, a class I was in actually went on a field trip tour of a giant cigarette factory outside of Richmond (RJ Reynolds I think it was). Can you imagine getting permission for that today? LOL...

Anyway, we walked through several enormous rooms where they "treated" the tobacco with additives. The bulk tobacco went down enormous conveyor belts where it was sprayed with junk, then funneled through this long tubular, rotating oven, was baked and then sent on to the rolling bays. The Menthol room was almost as pungent and choking as my later experience in Army Basic Training in the gas chamber with CS smoke.

15. SBritton

SBritton Member

That whole thing just sounds like a sick thing to do to otherwise good baccy.

16. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Wow, that bad huh? I always love hearing about how things are done in factories. great post.

17. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

RJ Reynolds is in Winston Salem, NC up the road from KrispyKreme. Richmond is home to PhilipMorris.

There is a whole-leaf burley and brightleaf processor up the road from here and, I guarantee, if you don't choke in there at least your eyes will water. Chopping leaf puts some aggressive chemistry into the air, menthol or not. In the aging warehouses, however, all is calm and sweet.

18. woody

woody Admin Admin

Now that's what I call a field trip! They took us to a stupid bakery. Next was a clay pit...

19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

We went to a brewery.... lots of good memories from THAT field trip! https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsu.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.