Outdoors tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bluepipe, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Hey guys,

What is your preferred blend to smoke when you know you will be outdoors and it's going to be windy?

I find that even the slightest breeze makes a huge difference for some tobaccos. They burn hot and go bitter really fast. Some straight virginias do that. They are very enjoyable to smoke indoors, but once you go out - they go bitter. Bright CR does that.

I found that escudo can handle the outdoors well. Also to my suprise, sunset breeze can handle outdoors as well.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Interesting. I don't smoke outside a lot but when I do it's always a latakia blend. Perhaps I learned what you wrote about virginias without really "knowing" it - if you know what I mean.

I've found GLP Meridian to be the perfect smoke for gardening and snow removal (two things I've never done simultaneously!). But I've smoked a lot of latakia blends outside in the breeze. Generally a mild to medium blend is best.

3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention smoking outdoors. A majority of the time I smoke indoors (I love my wife for that) but the other night I was smoking a bowl of Stanwell Melange, which I like.
    She did not like the room note and asked that next time I smoke that one, that I smoke outside. Oh well, could be worse. Prob. won't be smoking Melange in the (Michigan) winter soon. heh

*Sorry...it didn't have anything to do with the wind. My apologies.

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

In the wind I tend to go with flakes, folded and stuffed instead of rubbed out. My choice for the beach this summer has generally been OGS or something similar. Flakes will still burn hot in a breeze, but I ink not quite as much as a ribbon or shag or rubbed out flake.

shadow likes this.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's exactly what I do! Although my Latakia blend ribbon cut is OK in- or outdoors. I also tend to puff even slower when I smoke outdoors to make up for the difference.

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I tend to prefer flakes, broken flakes, crumble cake, plugs and twists for outdoor smoking when it is windy.

Couple of thoughts...
    Break them up in chunks. Bigger chunks will burn slower and will be cooler than finely rubbed out. Also thicker flakes, thicker slices of twists, etc.
    Leave the tobacco a bit more moist than you would when it isn't windy.
    Any blends that you have trouble keeping lit may be worth a try.

You just want to make it to where the tobacco doesn't burn quite as easily. That will offset some of the effects of the wind. The trick is to get it to where it will still burn evenly. Takes a little practice but it is acheivable. I smoke outside 90% of the time and have gotten pretty good at it even when it is in a steady wind.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Nary a one. I pass on wind-smoking.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I don't let windyness determine what, or if!, I smoke. (I would never smoke with my wife around, at that rate)! That said, if I were to be honest about successful smokes in the wind, likely flake/rope tobaccos and a wind cap would be on my list.

9. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Good thoughs guys. Thanks for the tips. I tend to avoid windy smoking as well, I'd rather not smoke than have an unsuccessful bowl. With your tips though I might make outdoor smoking a bit better. It requires a lot of experience though and extra care, from what I understand.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I just don't like not seeing the smoke. I've tried to enjoy a pipe at the beach and like that but it's never seems very pleasing. I do enjoy outdoor smoking but not when there's more than a little breeze.

11. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

When it's very windy....I tend not to smoke much.....too many ashes/embers to burn me!

12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I like heavier English blends. I don't normally care for Lat dominated tobies, but outdoor smoking is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.