1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Overreamed...What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I always watch the estate pipes on smokingpipes and notice they mention pipes being overreamed. Can someone post a picture of what that looks like because I THINK I know but I'm not sure. And what is the big deal with it anyways??

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Oh I've got doozie for ya. I'll post a photo. Hang tight.

3. Biggles

Biggles Member

While we wait for Stonewall's entry here's a lil' gruesome gore, for the cause...

[​IMG]

"Oh, the humanity"

dBear and Brit abroad like this.
  4. Smithy

Smithy Member

Poor briar didn't even know what hit it :bangin:

Brit abroad likes this.
  5. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I'll see if I can get a picture of a particularly unfortunate reaming job in my possession - a pre-republic Peterson Deluxe System where somebody though "reaming" meant "re-drilling the chamber." It's easily a 1/4" wider than it used to be, but there's still char on the sides, and the bottom is a good 1/2" below the airway. There's barely any pipe left for the chamber to be in.

That said, most aren't nearly that bad. I'd say the chamber often ends up a bit wider than intended and the rim is likely to be beaten up. It may still smoke fine, but will certainly lose some value to a collector.

6. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Yes, please do post some more pics. Would love to see some.

7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

[​IMG]

The Pipe: A beautiful Peterson Antique, No. 192 of 1000. 14 kt gold band, Cumberland stem (this pipe comes with two stems, actually)

[​IMG]

The damage...

[​IMG]

Pictures worth a thousand words, eh. Uniformity of the rim is destroyed, near burn out to the bowl where it meets the stem. Bad, bad, bad.

I nearly passed out when I seen this. View these photos at your own risk.

8. Smithy

Smithy Member

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Stonewall--------those pictures make me want to throw up. Dear God---that right there is a damn shame. A beautiful pipe like that--that has been reamed all to hell. Wow such a nice limited pipe ending up like that--OMG!!!:(:(:(

10. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Wow. Thats just sad.

11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Tell me about it! Completely ruined! The seller was a sweetheart and refunded my money. But the pipe is toast. I'm keeping it in the event someone needs a band or stem to this pipe. Or as an example...:eek:

12. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

The pictures in this thread make me sad :(

13. atwageman

atwageman Member

Without naming names there are a few pipe sellers on ebay that ream pipes all the way down giving the appearance of new wood and claiming the pipe was barely smoked. Most pipsters know that I collect and smoke Edwards pipes and I've had to pass on numerous pipes because of such sodimization. Whats worse is when an unsuspecting buyer with an untrained eye contacts me seeing if I would be interested in purchasing it, only to find out from me why I passed on it to begin with.

Old Codger and roberted5 like this.
  14. Latakia Nights

Latakia Nights Member

Ouch. I'd almost be tempted to burn it in the fireplace to put it out of it's misery.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  15. bosun

bosun Active Member

Sad..

16. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I am revisiting threads and was kinda looking once again at that bottom picture--straight into the bowl. Who in the hell would do that to a pipe.:mad: Wow--just freakin WOW.
    Can you imagine--a friend says--yeah I have a reamer, and can clean that pipe up for you. He gives it back, and you look at it and--OH GOD!!!!!
    Let the projectile vomiting begin:puke::cfsd:---why---oh why would anyone EVER do that to a pipe--especially a limited edition pipe like that one?

17. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I have a Stanwell that someone did a hack job to the inner bowl with a knife of some sorts. It is all out of round on the inside. The outside sill has some shape to it. Hopefully will post pics tomorrow.

18. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Hah, this is turning into the Little Pipe Shop of Horrors:startl:

Old Codger, BradNTX and dBear like this.
  19. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I swear that is so bad I would cut out a crescent of briar and stick it in there, good or bad, I would have to try and smoke it, and give it some new life:oops:

BradNTX likes this.
  20. iamjonsolo

iamjonsolo Member

poor pipes :shead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.