P&C Increases Some Prices

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JimInks, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I had a feeling when Pipes and Cigars' H&H 20% sale was over that the prices might go up on those 8 oz tins. I guessed right, at least in regard to the 8 oz. tins. They were $14.95 and now they're $17.41 (strange price that). The 2 oz. tins are the same price and I don't know if the bulk prices have changed. Angler's Dream went up a buck, and there are slight price increases on SWR, SWRA, Granger, and maybe a another one or two OTC. I'm glad I stocked up on the 8 oz. tins when I did, though I wish I had been able to try Angler's Dream while the sale was still going on (it's currently sold out). Well, I'll buy more in Dec. at the next sale.

I don't know how much their price increases are on other things, if there are any. But since some people are concerned about tobacco prices going up, I thought I'd mention it. I still think their prices on Russ' blends are a great value and some of my favorite blends are made by him. They're worth every penny spent! I hope he keeps making good stuff for us.

PS. I was reminded by a friend that the H&H tin prices were higher earlier the preceding year, until the beginning of summer, when they dropped the prices on both tin sizes. And it looks like the 2 oz. tins are the same price.

StubrnDutchman likes this.

2. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

Thanks for the info. I like shopping there and will keep the fluctuations in mind. I hope to take advantage of their winter sale big time now that I have tried several of the H & H series. As soon as I can get some $$$ I need to order up a bunch of CH tubs before DGE snaps them all up.

JimInks likes this.
  3. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

I had an order in for some H&H and they bumped he price $4 when I went to check out.

4. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

They should honored their posted price. I had trouble with one guy there recently over that and after going round and round with him, I got my way. You should always do what you promise to a customer, as I learned by being in retail for 16 years and from life itself.

Buckshot likes this.
  5. buistd

buistd Active Member

17 dollars? Consider yourselves lucky. Over here you'd be looking at $70 for 8 ounces. Keep stocking up at these prices.

6. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I don't think for a single moment that the H&H prices are out of line with the quality of the product. Quite the contrary - several H&H blends are among my favorite tobaccos, and I have cellared quite of bit of several of them. I'm just pointing out the fact that the price has increased a little so people are aware of it. Last year at this time, the 8 oz tins were $25.95 each, then in early summer , the prices dropped to $14.95. I did notice P&C also did slight price increases on some non-H&H products, and as many of us are bargain shoppers, it always helps to inform each other when something changes.

What I'd like to know from you is how much of the inflated prices you have to pay go to what kind of taxes? Does some of that money go to fund health care as I have heard it does in Canada? Or are they just making it so expensive that they figure people will quit smoking? How long have you folks been getting gouged like this? It seems vastly unfair. I'd appreciate knowing whatever you can tell us.

Dragonslayer likes this.
  7. buistd

buistd Active Member

A lot of it goes as taxes. A LOT. But I believe that a fair bit of this tax goes to supporting the NHS (health care). When I first started smoking cigarettes ten years ago, you could get a pack of 20 for less than £4 if my memory serves correct. Now they're up to about £8 a pack. I think that a large part of the tax increase is to discourage smokers. There's a lot of legislation to try and discourage smoking. Supermarkets now have to keep all their tobacco behind doors so you can't see all the good stuff! Funnily enough, I went to a B&M in Southampton with Bluepipe on Saturday, and they are not allowed to display tobacco products in the window. They are still allowed to display bongs bizarrely enough!

In a way, I can understand the logic behind raising taxes if it goes to support health care, as a lot of people do have to make use of the NHS for smoking-related illnesses. Pipe tobacco is taxed far less than cigarette tobacco, so perhaps this reflects the fact that pipe smoking is not quite as damaging as cigarette smoking. 50g of cigarette rolling tobacco is just shy of £15, whereas you can get the same amount of pipe tobacco for £10-11. At least they are approaching the tax increases in a somewhat reasonable fashion. I would find it harder to understand if they were taxed equally.

Anyway, this info is probably best in the Tobacco Legislation forum so I won't get into it too much. If this post needs modifying/deleting/moving, feel free to do so.

8. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Thank you for the very concise and informative answer. You're right that this belongs in the other forum, but I figured as long as I had your attention, I'd ask a reliable source about that particular subject.

Anyway, I should have also mentioned that I consider Russ O a tobacco genius and he's changed the way many of us (including myself) smoke because of his H&H blends. But to get back to the original subject: I like it when people point out where the cheapest prices are and when things change, etc., etc. So I just wanted to do my part, so to speak.

StubrnDutchman likes this.
  9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe prices went up at SP.com, too. I did my H&H shopping during the December sale. I figured P&C had the best price, but I still checked SP.com. I seem to recall that, at the time, their 8 oz H&H tins were listed around $17.50. They are now $19 there.

And, yes, I agree it's still a fine price for Russ' blends!

10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

If you had the lower price in your cart and then the price went up overnight they will charge you the current price. It goes the other way as well, if you had something in your cart and the sale started, the price will go down when you go to check out. Keeping an item in your cart for an extended time does not guarantee the sale price. That has happened to me on both ends. P&C has a system that allows you to keep something in your cart for several days with out blanking it out. I noticed some sites will blank out the cart after an hour or so of inactivity. I don't know if that is what happened to you but that has happened to me a few times.

11. esteban

esteban Active Member

I just bought 5 lbs. Dansk black @ 1.59 an ounce so I did not see bulk prices advance..free shipping & stellar ship time. If ya got a major go to baccy that you are sure of, this is the most frugal smoke in the world, provided they have your weed in bulk. :confused:

12. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Everything is going up right now.
    One of the unfortunate side effects of a weakening US dollar.

13. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure he buys his CH locally. :puffy:

14. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

Like I’ve said in many threads, H&H AK is my #3 tobacco in my tight rotation. My start-off every day is a bowl of BBF then FVF and then I go to the AK to get the taste buds off their butt and rolling. Now in the lineup of total favorites it falls behind against my special stuff like escudo, nightcap and SJF. It’s not a matter of taste right now; I’m trying to cellar as much of those three as I can, and only smoke a bowl of one of the three each day. Now AK is complex and I’m very interested in this blend because I see it doing some great ageing in 5 and 10 years. In my mind, this is going to be a win-win-win. First I’m sitting on a brand that will have been both discontinued and prices from all the taxes will have raised the base value by at least 300%. Now if I’m current and the blending of this becomes a real winner, its value will be even more. Then of course lastly, I’m smoking a great smoke I got for around $15 per 8oz tin. I say that because when it was $14 and they ran the 20% off I picked up 4 pounds. I’m going to keep ordering a pound on my monthly order just to keep stocking and smoking. Now one thing that I feel very strongly about is ageing tobacco that has direct contact with tin. It’s a fact that when you take tin, oxygen/followed by the anaerobic bacteria and water (which AK is very moist) you are going to have a chemical reaction. Now this can be slow and minor, but remember we are talking 10 year. So all my ageing tobacco coming in unlined tins I transferred into mason jars. That way I know without a doubt my ageing will be pure.

So I enjoy a few bowls of AK every day, I have a lot and love the complex flavor of the blend. Everyone has a different pallet and we are living right now in a golden age of tobacco. This is going to change as sure as the sun will rise. We will see prices through the roof, this will cascade through the industry because of less bought means job layoffs, brands being cut and less availability. Growers will be getting tax incentives from governments to change crops, probably because of the legalization of marijuana, both in recreational and its base hemp form. Hemp pound for pound is not only a green source but has thousands of uses. So the future of “what I should be doing” if you plan on smoking a pipe for the next 15 or more years is cellar.

Craig

15. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

Yes, but don't forget, for every semi-tractor load that DGE gets means there is one less shipment for the rest of us. Doesn't matter if it goes thru a local store first. I'll be stocking up on tubs soon. :)

Smokey Tom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.