1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

P-lip and System

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ArtisanArcher, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

My Fellow Pipe Smokers!

For Christmas this year my parents bought me a pipe. Or, well, more so I picked out a pipe and they paid for it. I might post some personal pics with it here soon, but for now this will do. Nevertheless, here she is! Peterson 304! This is the nicest pipe I have ever held or smoked (aside from one of the Lord of the Rings pipes from Vauen). The balance is simply amazing!

I have to say that first off, I am really impressed with the "System Standard." I have never owned or smoked a System pipe before so this is an experience, and a pretty good one. The P-Lip however is a horse of a different colour. I'm not all together sure I like the smoke hitting the roof of my mouth. Perhaps this is where really learning how to smoke cool comes in handy...

Anybody else got thoughts or opinions on the P-lip/system? Or anything I need to look out for?

Happy Smoking
    Merry Christmas
    Arty

2. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have two P lips and i dont mind them i dont really notice the difference that much because i normaly direct the smoke up that way anyway by holding the bowl a little lower. Both pipes are just that little bit too small and leave me wanting a little more. Great gift hope you get years of enjoyment out of it and have a Merry Christmas.

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  3. Pilot

Pilot New Member

I have a 302 system pipe, P-lip. I love it, I find that even if I smoke it HOT, I get no tongue bite. The roof of my mouth gets a little dry, but it's better than tongue bite in my opinion.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I don't suppose p-lips are intrinsically better...just different. You may get used to it, or not. You may end up loving it, or not. I have several, including a system. I really don't even register a difference between them and conventional bits when smoking, but many have strong opinions either way. Just smoke the snot out of it...you'll figure it out. They're a tank of a pipe...I think you'll come to realize what a good choice you made.

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  5. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have a little bent black 317 and an antique looking straight one of a similar size with a hallmarked silver band i love them both.

6. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I've got a System 302 with a p-lip and I find that every now and then I need to tilt the pipe so the smoke hits my tongue a little, and then it's all good for another ten minutes or so. Could just be me.

7. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

I have a 307 and at first I didn't like it and the pipe sat unsmoked for awhile. I pulled it out again and gave it a second chance and found that I like it. It just took some getting used too.

8. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I've got an ebony system 302 and it is one of my favorite pipes. I think the p-lips are great, I have 2 and am soon to have a 3rd, a 306 system in the smooth finish. I'm of the opinion that some folks just don't have the correct bite for them though. Be aware that the well does store a good bit of juice so when you are done smoking it, take care to not tip the pipe so that the juice will escape the well.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

P-lips never worked for me. I wish they did but they just feel odd in my mouth. I'm a clencher and I usually balance the pipe bit loosely so that a regular bit angles upward towards the roof of my mouth anyway. I never could get used to p-lips. I bought one of the original Pete Sherlock Holmes series pipes (the Baskerville) and sold it after a few months. Never tried another. It's a personal thing, I guess. An interesting concept that just doesn't work for me.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'm in the anti p-lip camp. An emory board can make it go away if you find that you can't tolerate it.

11. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

ACK! You could have just got a fishtail for it and kept a really good pipe. I'm almost positive that Peterson has fishtails for all of those pipes.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I don't recall if they made those pipes with anything but p-lips back in '89, but I do recall that the p-lips were all I could find. I honestly didn't think it would be a big deal, but it turned out to be. And shoot, even if I still had it and I liked it, I'd rarely smoke it. It's not a meerschaum. ;)

ArtisanArcher and Jayson H Bucy like this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I have what I think is a 317, rather small, rusticated. I love it but would like the same thing with a larger bowl. I like the P-lip on a bent pipe but don't think I would like it on a straight or even a half bent. I do get less bite from the p-lip and like the way it hangs on my mug. It fits my teeth perfectly.

14. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

My other p-lip'd pipe is a straight billiard and no problems for me. I stated it above but I really do think one must have the right "bite" to make a p-lip work for them.

15. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

P-Lips forever!........
    Great clincher....you just have to commit to giving it a fair chance.
    This...eww I tried it once and hated it is for kids.....
    If you really gave it a go you might just change your mind.
    Heck I even put P-Lips on my Cobs
    I never pick up a pipe to smoke that has a standard bit and think.....
    eew, I'll never smoke one of these again.
    I smoke both but prefer a P-Lip. A non-P-lip is never a deal breaker.

16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I will be getting a P-lip forever stem when my new cobs come. It is a great clincher. I like being hands free, so I can smoke while working and fighting my dogs for possession of the ropes. It is serious warfare so I need both hands. :)

17. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Got a system 307 with a P-lip and it works great for me. But like anything it takes a little getting used to. As long as the smoke comes out, its good in my book!

Gary and Jesla like this.
  18. Gig

Gig Member

I love my Peterson Sys Std pipes and the P lips fitted to them. They all smoke great and clench very well :)

THis is a photograph of my seven day rotation of 314's, all have a different finish on them. As you might relize they are my favourite Peterson Sys Std pipe. They have the right size bowl for me (medium) and they are very well shaped and balanced for clenching :)

[​IMG]

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  19. Gary

Gary Member

I have a 303 and have the same experience. Only issue I have with the 303 is it smokes so quick.

20. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

My only problem with P-lips is that they're hard to clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.