P-lip vs. Fishtail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer-Z

Hello,

I just recieved a Peterson with a P-lip stem. I wondered what people thought about the P-lip in comparison to the standard fish tail?

Z

user0003

Well here we go........

I personally like my P-Lip Petersons. But your going to get a lot of opinions that differ. In the end it's just a personal thing.

Cobra

I'm still sitting on the fence. Last year I bought my first two Petersons, both with P-Lips. My personal problem with them is I have full dentures, as such they first felt like a real mouthful compared to a fishtail. Little by little, my mouth is adjusting to where to hold them. I like to have a pipe in my mouth rather than in my hand. It will probably take a little more time to where I won't even notice it any longer but I'm not there yet.

To answer Boomer's question, the P-Lip does exactly what it was designed to do. A rather clever piece of engineering, and it compliments the Peterson pipe very well. I was a long time Stanwell buyer but with these two Petersons I am slowly being converted. Both are excellent smokers, in fact I plan on maybe a half dozen more in the near future.

NDLanoue

Cobra said:
To answer Boomer's question, the P-Lip does exactly what it was designed to do. A rather clever piece of engineering, and it compliments the Peterson pipe very well.
Ok, I've often wondered this, too. What IS the purpose of the P-Lip?

Cobra

NDLanoue said:
Ok, I've often wondered this, too. What IS the purpose of the P-Lip?
The hole is on top of the mouthpiece directing the smoke to the roof of your mouth rather than the tip of your tongue. The curved portion underneath allows your tongue to rest behind it. It is virtually impossible to get tongue bite from this design. Contrary to what some might have you believe, it is no more difficult to run a pipe cleaner through than a fishtail.

Deckard

I don't mind the p-lip, but I lean slightly towards fishtail. I just like how the fishtail sits between my teeth better. Even so I've bought p-lips and not regretted it either because a pipe a liked didn't come sans p-lip or just looked better with it.

Demented

My wife bought me a Peterson house pipe last year for our anniversary that came with a P-Lip, 30 yrs. of smoking pipes with fishtail mouthpieces made it feel very odd at first, and getting use to the larger button took a while. I could take them or leave them today, but prefer a fish tail.

The issue I had with the P-Lip/Military mount combination is in another thread.

Marc

I never owned a Peterson, didn't care for the looks of them, but I have seen the P-lip stem up close and personal and I don't think I would like such a stem on my pipe. It just looks like it would be too bulky and chunky to be comfortable to me.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
If the look of it isn't offensive (which it is not to me) then it's all about your bite-grip, I guess. I tried one, couldn't get comfortable with it and swore off. I don't know how you can tell if you like a P-Lip until you smoke one for a few days.

This is very much a personal fit thing. I favor moderate fishtails or narrow bits with small buttons because, I suppose, I often clench a pipe. If I was a lift-and-hand-hold kinda smoker I guess a P-Lip would be fine.

travclem

I smoked my first 1/4 bowl out of the P-lip Pete last night and I like it. It was comfortable to clench after I added one of my home made softies to it. Overall I think I am going to like this pipe.

jvande7

I've only owned one P-Lip pipe. I sold it within weeks of buying it. I loath P-Lips.

I encourage you to seek out the official P-Lip loathers thread in the pipe forum.

Boomer-Z

I just want to sau thanks to all who responded. I have had an opportunity to smoke a few bowls in the P-lip. I would have to say I like it, but it is a little different holding it in your mouth. The tobacco tastes the same. I sometimes can smoke too fast and it did cut back on the tongue bite.

Verdict? I like it or at least I like it enough to buy a Peterson and not care what type of stem it has.

Thanks again!

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.