1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

P-Lip...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Coda, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I have this love/hate thing with p-lipped pipes. Somedays, they smoke real comfortable. Otherdays, I want to throw it in an incinerator. What is the deal with p-lips? Are they any more efficient? Is it a strict comfort thing?...

2. jdto

jdto Active Member

Yes

BigJ and Old Codger like this.
  3. user2725

user2725 Active Member

The design concept behind the P-lip mouthpiece is to direct the smoke upward away from the tongue, that's it. I have removed the P-lips from the three pipe I own that came with them, not because they were uncomfortable but because the roof of my mouth was being scorched by the steam/smoke, in my opinion much more painful than any tongue bite.

Rodfather, Jammer and colorduke like this.
  4. jdto

jdto Active Member

I'll elaborate on my previous smartass remark and say that, yes, they do work. I have found them to be enjoyable, but I wouldn't want them on all my pipes. They do seem to be easier on the tongue and the roof of my mouth has held up ok, so far. I guess it's another YMMV situation.

5. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I really enjoy P-lips, but to me, its only a comfort thing, I can't really tell if they make a real difference in the smoking qualities.

6. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I like 'em.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I have identical pipes, 80s, with fishtail and P-lip. Can't say I notice any difference between them.

8. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I have a slight overbite (this is even after braces as a teen) and there is only one spot in my mouth that is adequately comforable for my P-Lip to sit. This makes them an inefficient stem for me, and not at all my favoured style. Granted, in that one spot it's perfectly clenchable, but fussy smoking is not desirous smoking.

Rodfather and OldSchool like this.
  9. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I dont like pee on my lips:haha:

10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

:doh: budum cha... ;)

I have a p-lip however; I still haven't smoked it. I need to get started on cleaning some of the estates I've picked up.

Ted Vig likes this.
  11. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Follow where the howling wolves go, just dont eat the P-lip snow.:haha:

zirrow likes this.
  12. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I am not a fan of the P-Lip system,but other people love it.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Not for me.

14. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Still deciding, I think you loose a little flavor as it directs the smoke to the roof of your mouth.

15. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

I have never smoked anything with a p lip but I will here in a few days. If I don't like it I have a dremel and some sand paper that will turn it into a fishtail for me.

16. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

You might like it, as I've said I'm still deciding... (keep that nice pete you just scored original:bing:)

17. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I don't care for P-lips but the issue isn't with the bit. Over the years, I simply developed a "light clench" that relaxes the pipe and points the bit towards the roof of my mouth. Were I to use a P-lip with the same jaw grip, the smoke would shoot towards my front teeth. It definitely is uncomfortable and diminishes my smoking enjoyment. But that's a completely personal thing, as are most things associatied with pipes and tobaccos.

18. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

I'm not a fan of P-lips but I tolerate them on my Pete Meers because there is no choice. I don't understand why Peterson only make meers with P-lips.

19. gic

gic Member

I think i like them a little better than the fishtails. You CAN lose a little taste with P-lip but it is not as big difference than between straight and bent pipes. (Not to mention filtered or unfiltered pipes). You have to chose the right tobacco, where less taste is more value.

20. Aes28

Aes28 Member

I haven't heard of a taste difference between straight and bent pipes before. Is there really one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.