1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Packing a Cob

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Does anyone else find they need to pack a cob differently than a briar? For whatever unknown reason I find they have an unusually easy draw and unless they're packed rather tightly this pipe tends to burn my tongue more than my briars - which is kind of the opposite of what I've heard about them. Is it because it's a new pipe, or do I just really need to be good about firmly packing the bowl? This is only the third smoke with my MM so perhaps theres still a bunch of learning in regards to it

2. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

A one inch section of pipe cleaner, folded into a "V" (with enough "spring" to hold it in place)and inserted into the tenon will add resistance to the draw and also keep bits of tobacco/ash from passing into your mouth while also catching a bit of moisture and tar. Of course, paper filters will accomplish the same thing but, for me, increases draw resistance too much (and is much more expensive than sections of pipe cleaners, even when the paper filter's have been cut into thirds).

WyoBob

3. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I pack fairly tight but i do use filters.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So then do you two find that, without something like a filter or cleaner, that the draw is way too easy otherwise unless you pack them pretty tight? Maybe its the wider passage through the stem...?

5. telltime

telltime Active Member

I pack mine no differently. They are supposed to have free draws, as is any pipe. It should be as effortless as breathing. If you are getting bite or it's getting too hot, you're puffin' too hard. Slow down, and just when you think you've slowed down enough, slow down a tad more.

Cobs are GREAT smokers. I recommend losing the filter, pack it like any other pipe, and puff only hard enough to keep it lit. It will reward you with a great smoke.

6. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

I am a pretty new smoker and I find that as much as I love the flavor of cobs, I too have got to work on my technique better.

I do pack them tight but what I am trying to do is a more "nasal" inhale by letting the smoke ( or MAKING the smoke ) move UP to my actual palette and into the back of my snoot.

This is easy to do when you AREN'T thinking about it but when I "try" to do it, I have a heck of a time.

Just keep on smokin' and looking for tips, etc. Cobs are too great not to smoke, that is for sure!

7. Beale

Beale Active Member

On the filters? What type do y'all recomend? Thanks in advance, Beale.

8. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I use the Medico, haven't tried the Grabows yet. I find the open draw a bit too much for me- I'm still learning so I think the filter helps me.
    I cut them in half to save money.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I only used the medico filter for one and a half smokes before throwing it out. Last night I did want to give it another shot though. Basically I took some sturdy paper, cut a strip of it out, rolled it up and stuck i where the filter would go. Actually smoked great. No need to buy filters, they're just glorified rolled up pieces of paper :groucho:

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Totally filter free now. Also, it now smokes amazingly well. The first five smokes or so bit like hell, and tasted very slightly corny. I could still tell a difference from my briars with having a verrry loose draw until maybe the tenth smoke or so. But now that I've lost count of the number of times I've smoked it, it's actually one of my best performing pipes. I know it's not as durable or long lived as a briar pipe, but hell at this price they're practically disposable. I WILL be stocking up eventually, but not until I can afford a really really nice briar first :)

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Pack as you'd normally pack (or "load"/"fill") a bowl. But less "tight". You can always tighten her up as the smoke gets going (as in relight).

Lose the filter. Unless you get all "girlie" when you have a bit of tobak or ash shot into your mouth............... lose the filter. So what!!! It's tobak or ash, you're smokin' it, what's wrong with a touch of it in your mouth???

Puff/Sip slower and smoother. You're not a bellows.

Learn the tobak. Each different blend, style, etc has different load-up properties where they really shine. Some do well prep'd any way at all but some do better certain ways. Dryness is also key and very much so for certain blends.

Learn the pipe. Each different pipe (inner bowl dimensions and inner bowl shape) has a different burn characteristics and prefer to be loaded up certain ways and really shine when you do.

The only thing you should expect from a NEW Cob, is that she'll smoke better and better for you rapidly but the first few smokes from any cob are usually a test of one's ability to tolerate the flavor of burnin' cob, pine, & toby. When you've got the bowl wall nicely charred and the bowl bottom is starting to form (~20-ish bowls) you're Golden!

Overall, I load-up my cobs no different than anyother pipe but paying strict attention on where the draft hole is placed and what I'm loading directly atop of it. Keep it "springy" and just below the rim!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I suppose you can expect problems - if you insist on smoking a vegetable! :eek:hyeah: ....seriously though - I fill and smoke the same as anything else.
    OT

13. Beale

Beale Active Member

This is a great topic! My cobs get better the more I smoke them. Heck I have better (read pricer) pipes. I reach for the Cob, Beale.

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I fill them the same . Puffs on when he says .. " You can always tighten her up as the smoke gets going " . I really like Middletons Cherry Blend in a cob ... somehow the two were made for each other :) Ya can't get much more American than that :abe:

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Cherry tobacco? Sounds gross to me, man, but more power to ya!

Basically I've been smoking PA, CH, X Blend, CB, Kendal Dark, etc. out of it. The only one to leave any ghost so far is the X Blend, which is kind of weird but alright because I like the taste.

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm predominently a Falcon smoker and value the free open draw of these pipes which is why I also love corncobs. I smoke them without filters. fill them exactly the same as a Falcon or any other pipe, and for me it works....

Just smoke 'em slow and easy and they'll be fine - oh and btw don't smoke over mild tobaccos in them - medium strength is the base line for success!

Hope you find the way that suits you!

Gerry

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I tend to puff too fast and find a corncob best when I don't want to consciously make myself smoke slower. I also pack it a bit on the tight side of springy, at least if I'm smoking PA or CH. I like it pretty full. Anyway, no problems at all with it, and almost never any significant tongue bite

18. Burner

Burner Member

There's a good article here complete corncob primer I use a filter cut in half and pack them on the slightly loose side as I do with all my pipes.

19. Marc

Marc Active Member

Smoke it with the filter in place for proper draw, without the filter they tend to smoke hot and fast.

20. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

I find if you take it slow and injoy the pipe like its ment to be then its just fine with out the filter contry gen just my dumb newbooie take on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.