1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

PAD contagious?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by soundlzrd, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I am thinking it has to be. I found this forum about a month ago. In the time I have had 2 cobs, an Ebay Grabow, a few forever stems and finally two Petes. I had a similar experience just over a year ago when I found Kirsten Pipes was local. That spree was started because I found I like smoking pipes, after having two sit for a few years because of tongue bit.

While I have been on my recent spree, a friend bought his first pipe, a cob, and I sold him two pipes I had gotten of ebay with the Grabow. Him and I are going to PA next weekend to visit Boswells and then the Columbus pipe show at the end of the month.

My last tip off was my recent vacation. On the way to SC, our caravan pulled over at JR Cigar so my brother in law(BIL) could join my in my car and my wife could ride with her family. My BIL was to get some cigars for the trip and we would smoke some in the car then a few during the week. He imidiatly found a cheap MM wood pipe for around 5 dollars and decided he had to have it. After smoking his first bowl, which was PA thanks to you all, he was ready for another bowl two hours down the road! On day two of our trip we were back in a smoke shop getting him his first Savinelli so he could have more than one bowl a day and still rotate.

Is this all a coincidence or is PAD contagious?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah , this place will rub off on you . Goodluck . At least pipe tobacco is'nt that pricey

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

door #2...and there's no cure. Good of you to spread the contagion though.....LOL

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Of course, it's contagious! We're not to blame, though. No sir.
    Not us.... :xd:

dp

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I know a cure.

Well, okay, a temporary cure.

Well, okay, not really a "cure" so much as a kind of stand-by, a temporary lessening of symptoms, if you will.

Actually, come to think of it, the cure and the disease are the same thing. Damn.

Well, whatever. I find that sometimes I just have to buy a pipe or risk immediate descent into madness. But I feel pretty good right after I hit "buy it now".

So that's sort of a cure, sort of... right?

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

No pics posted as of yet of your BIL smoking... so I'm betting it didn't happen! https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/naughty.gif
    Seriously though, if you really did infect him, get him sign up on PSF so we can give him a proper piper's welcome! :roflmao:

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yup, come to the conclusion it's definitely contagious, but Hell it's enjoyable and it saves you wasting money on other things!

Happy smoking fellow sufferers!

Gerry

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Contagious?

NO! It,s Terminal! In my case at least.

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

9. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

It is most definitely contagious. I've even got my wife surfing eBay, smokingpipes.com, and a few other places looking for cool pipes. She even helped me pick out a Radice last night and is cool with me getting one, even though new they are fairly expensive.

Now if I can only convince my friends to leave those nasty white sticks behind and pick up a nice hunk of corn or briar...

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I forgot that my dad also had me order him a Forever stem and Country Gent from WBW so he could give pipe smoking a try. Not sure if he is going to stick with it or not, he really likes Kuba Kuba's. Just need to find a replacement toby for him. Started him off with PA until he gets the pack down.

I started to break in the 2nd Pete tonight. I think I need to slow this PAD somehow, I am not even getting the pipes broken in!

11. erickghint

erickghint Member

Best way to slow PAD down is to just remember that you have the rest of your life to enjoy smoking. It's not a contest to see who gets the most pipes in a year, or anything like that. I know I've seen some pipes that I "couldn't live without", and damn it was hard not to pull the trigger on those. I usually limit myself to 1 pipe every couple of months (last month wasn't a good example). Contagious PAD, damn right it is. Although, if you can live within your personal budget and still buy the briar you want, why not?

This PSA Brought to you by erickghint - Founder and CEO of Pigmy Marmoset Productions

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I know I contracted the bug for italian handmades and morta pipes here.

13. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Well my personal budget seems to be I save for about a year, go on a pipe buying binge, think I have enough, then wait for a year. This is apparently my time of the year.

Additionally last night I was smoking a pipe with a friend. His girlfriend has been trying figure out what kind of pipe to get him for his birthday. So, I talked them into going to the local pipe shop right before it closed. He left with a basket pipe while she shopped for his birthday present, possibly a Peterson or a kaysomething.

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

"kaysomething"........:xd:

"Somethingwoodie"............. :roflmao: :lolu: :groucho:

15. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

When you get a bad case of PAD just try to convert it into an even worse case of TAD. The TAD fix probably won't cost as much.

Someone needs to follow their own advice :roflmao:

16. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Kaywoodie! That's it, are they good?

I have some tad too...but some how the wife watches the jars more.

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I tend to go from PAD to TAD then back into PAD.........it's a viscious cycle but a helluva ride!

What'z worse is when I get PAD & TAD both hitting hard.........then, I just smoke, and smoke some more. What a wonderful hobby!

:D
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.