1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pad - Meer Lined Acquisition

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by raisingale, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisingale

raisingale Member

Here's a before and after picture of a meerschaum lined Italian pipe I picked up on E-Bay. I got it for a song and it cleaned up pretty nicely. Basically I sanded and polished the bit as well as sanded and restained the exterior of the pipe itself, followed by carnauba wax. The bowl was pretty cake-free so I just hit it with some 1200 grit sandpaper. I wasn't in the market for a meer lined pipe but I forgot to check a bid on a meer block pipe towards the end of the auction and consequently lost. Well, at that point my PAD wasn't satisfied so I quickly scoured the site for another possible purchase. This one caught my eye. So far I'm very pleased with it.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Nice looking pipe and a nice job you've done with it. Yup, the Old Purchasing Fever's a terrible thing when it gets you in its grip as I know only too well!

Happy smoking,

Gerry

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

looks good, let us know how she smokes :icon_eek:

4. raisingale

raisingale Member

So far she smokes like a champ! I'm really happy that the bit turned out as nicely as it did. I was hesitant to even bid on it when i saw how yellowish it was. Amazing what a little sandpaper and elbw grease will do. Truth be told I also polished it a little with a Dremel cotton polishing point and a wee bit of toothpaste.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That was a totally sweet find, but your restoration work really took it to the next level, where pipe becomes art.

Bravo!!!

Bri2k

6. raisingale

raisingale Member

Much obliged! I never realized the potential for old pipes until I started reading this forum. Now I'm constantly on the look out. When it came in the mail my wife was pretty disgusted with it but now she sees the true beauty! (Well, beauty may be too strong of a word for her opinion of it but she at least agrees that it looks better.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.