1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pad Problem

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dubhdarra, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

so i recently picked up three pipes, one custom from alan longmire, and two estates off ebay.

the longmire and one of the estates arrived today, the longmire is gorgeous, i'll be breaking it in tomorrow, its a tapered bowl straight dublin with a pearlescent lucite ferrule and nickel silver hardware, acrylic stem and a black stained bowl (yet somehow you can still see the grain). it is the first attached pic.

the ebay pipe that arrived today.. well.. its not bad. problem is, the auction said "Man pipes meerschaum lined pipe with original packaging". I've heard of man pipes, never a bad thing, and they were made for/by comoy, so of course i'm gonna buy one. i saw the chance to pick up what i assumed was a meerschaum lined pipe made by man pipes, based on the description and the writeup, thats what i paid for. what i GOT was the box bag and pamphlet from a man pipe and a tinderbox meerschaum lined pipe that matched neither the pipe shape number on the front of the package (the box has a pipe number and the shape chart) nor is it made by man pipes, nor does it match any pipe made by them or comoy, rather what looks like an off brand or second that has been stamped "the tinder box, meerschaum lined".
    i contacted the seller and politely said basically that this is not what they listed the item as, they responded with a slightly less than polite "I said in the description i'm not an expert, and this is how i bought it.". I might take that if I hadn't figured it out within five minutes based on nothing but WHAT WAS IN THE BOX. i spent 12 bucks, including shipping, so i'm not sure whether to make a stink, demand the correct pipe (if they have it) or a refund, or just let it go.

any ideas?
    -liam

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

For 12 bucks, forget it and move on.

Ebay to me is about knowing what you are bidding on before you bid. Knowing, and thinking you know, are different.

Anyone selling a pipe that is "probably a Savinelli Autograph that didn't get stamped" is not selling a Savinelli Autograph. Anyone selling a Dunhill that dates to before dunhill stamped their pipes is not selling a Dunhill.

There's a hundred "mixed bag" pipe/sock/box combinations on ebay every day. It's up to you to figure out if they are legit or not.

Just my opinion, of course.

3. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Caveat emptor

If your unhappy, say so on their feedback.

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

thanks, i just needed to hear that definitely. i wasn't sure whether it was my fault for not KNOWING "man pipes" made meer lined or not (which it turns out they did) or whether it was their fault for selling a tinder box pipe in a man pipes box as "meerschaum lined Man pipe in box"

guess i'll just let it go.

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'd say they're responsible as they misrepresented the item in question. If it had been for more money or a specific item you wanted I wouldn't hesitate to make a complaint, but for $12 it hardly seems worth the effort. Besides almost any pipe for that much would be a fair deal.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah if this had been a Dr Grabow in a Castello box, that would change my strategy here, but it's a 20 dollar transaction so I wouldn't push too hard against the universe on that. But now you now you need to ask the seller for markings etc on any given piece.

7. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

I would at least post a question to the seller... do you wish me to leave negative feedback? ... or do you wish to take back the pipe.

You'd be surprised how the threat of negative feedback can make a seller respond... I don't expect a seller to volunteer, but so far, when I've asked for a return option, I have not been denied... in one case, my money was refunded and I was told to keep the item... they really didn't know about the issues and had no desire to get the item back.

Your seller may be "ignorant", but based upon how they sold it, I would argue that it was purposeful... and if not, and they are a reputable seller, they should want to make amends...

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

I agree with 51flgoose, solid advice.

9. willzyx1980

willzyx1980 Member

I think the only relevant question is: What would you rather have: $12 (minus shipping) or a Tinder Box basket pipe?

You aren't going to get a Tinder Box basket pipe for $12 anyway, so it's probably worthwhile to just keep it. Maybe the pipe smokes well, and maybe it doesn't. Just consider it a $12 experiment. It's really not a bad gamble. I have a couple of Tinder Box basket pipes that smoke just fine, and I easily value them over $12. If you're really angry, at most I'd just ask him for a partial refund. I sold a book on Amazon marketplace once, and I screwed up and shipped it a month late. To make up for the delay I gave the lady a $20 refund (on an $80 book), unasked. I think it was the right thing to do, and she was pleasantly surprised.

The only other issue might be punishing the seller for dishonesty, but in this case it seems unlikely that he lied about the pipe on purpose just to unload it for $12. Even if he had described it accurately he probably could have gotten $12 for it. To give him a bad rating for simple carelessness or ignorance on such a low-priced item seems a little harsh.

10. kedarroy

kedarroy Member

ebay can be annoying - if you have really good feedback and leave negative feedback for the seller, the seller can leave negative feedback for you (if that matters to you), you can respond but it's still negative feedback. Since my account has no neagatives after about 700 or so transactions, if this happened to me (sinc it was only $12) I would make it clear to the seller that I was not happy with the auction, never deal with the seller again (buying or selling) and simply leave no feedback.

Note that ebay and paypal are really geared twoards the buyer, not the seller so if you want to fight it you certainly can, and you'd probably win (get a refund, return the pipe, etc.) you can also mess with the seller by not only leaving negative feedback but giving the seller low "star" ratings - the star ratings affect ebay fees for the seller as I understand it nowadays. That's a pain to deal with for $12 but sometimes it's not the money that matters.

11. kedarroy

kedarroy Member

I agree on this one as well

12. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

I believe EBay changed its policies a while back. The seller can no longer leave Negative feedback for the buyer - the seller can only leave Positive feedback - or nothing.

The buyer can leave Negative feedback for the seller.

13. JD1969

JD1969 Member

Really Ebay needs to change the way they give the buyer all the power. It should be a little more even. I sell stuff on Ebay for work all the time and I can tell you that some buyers are total assholes and abuse the power Ebay gives them. Case in point. I had one buyer complain about a there being a hole in the box that the item was shipped in. I asked if the item was damaged in any way, it was not, yet this person left a negative and said it was because of poor packaging. Now last I checked it is not my fault is UPS or FEDX mangles a box. All my items are packed well in boxes with padding, or other material. Some people just like to bitch and make life tough for others. I have also found that the people that buy from me on Ebay are real dumb, you should see some of the questions I get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.