1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

PAD strikes again

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TailGunnerUK, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TailGunnerUK

TailGunnerUK Member

just bought myself a falcon standard straight billiard:

https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/uploads/1298509583/med_gallery_6193_99_54538.jpg

question (probably for falconeer): do you use, or would you recommend the dry rings that falcon sell?

TG

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Looking good, TG! Many happy
    years with it. I really like mine.

dp

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Nice score - the billiard shape works well; just take your time burning it in, it can smoke hot as the proverbial bars of Hell for the first couple of goes and the humidome can get almost to hot to touch easily.

I personally don't use dry rings, or any other filters for that matter - Bugg designed the Falcon to work without them and they are an afterthought - some 30 years later. I think they restrict the draw and when wet produce an annoying noise. After you've finished a bowl just wipe out the sump with a tisssue and all will be well.

As it's a new Falcon bowl, it'll pick up moisture and swell up around the smoke hole within a couple of days and start to make a "Shs" type noise when you draw - you'll need to open out the smokehole gently - scape with a sharp knife, sand with a doel wrapped with sandpaper or do the Old Fart thing and shove a pair of kitchen scissors on and twist!

Hope you enjoy the pipe and wish you many happy years with it - with reasonable care there'll be 30+ years in her,

Best as ever

Gerry

4. TailGunnerUK

TailGunnerUK Member

thanks for the info gerry.

iv'e definitely noticed the heat thing (though i have asbestos hands, so it doesn't bother me). i havnt noticed any funny noises yet, so i'll hold off on widening the drawhole for now.

im breaking it in with some squadron leader (yum!)

i love the way you are guaranteed to be able to smoke all the way to the bottom evenly because of the drawhole design, and that the interchangable bowls are superbly handy for turn-around smoking and so on.

matt

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Congrats! Yup, a Falcon is a handy, capable lil' burner. Like Gerry mentioned, enjoy it for years to come!

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a fine looking smoking iron there Matt! The Falcon Club seems to grow daily. I hear good things about them. May you enjoy yours for many years!

P.S. I like your avatar and I think of it sometimes during meetings.

7. Eddie

Eddie Member

I'm looking continously on ebay for one to slip through the net. I fancy having a go with one.

8. TailGunnerUK

TailGunnerUK Member

the falcon seems to have broken in effortlessly with the aid of some squadron leader, and i love the way i can smoke it several times a day with no apparent ill effect (provided i mop out the humidome occasionally)!

its now my 'daily' pipe :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.