Papa Duke's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demented

Hand crafted tampers.

Years ago I had a W. O. Larsen carved horn and brass pipe tamper (it must have gone to sockland), came across this site looking for a tamper that has more character than what?s found in the smoke shops.

Rugbysh9

Those tampers are pretty cool D. thanks for sharing. Am I the only one though, that doesn't care so much about the tamper compared to the pipe? Knowing a pipe nail works just fine (or a battery for those PSF members that remember that thread) I can't get around to justify that expense, when i can pick up more pipe weed or put towards another Bannard / Tinsky / etc...

Maybe my opinion will change with time but for now...

Demented

Rugbysh9 said:
Knowing a pipe nail works just fine? I can't get around to justify that expense.
Mightn?t be everyone?s cup of tea, but I for one, like the finer things and hand craftsmanship. Spent my working years collecting 18th and 19th century art, cutlery, furniture and tools, now its china, crystal and sterling flatware.

Smoker99

Rugbysh9 said:
Those tampers are pretty cool D. thanks for sharing. Am I the only one though, that doesn't care so much about the tamper compared to the pipe? Knowing a pipe nail works just fine (or a battery for those PSF members that remember that thread) I can't get around to justify that expense, when i can pick up more pipe weed or put towards another Bannard / Tinsky / etc...

Maybe my opinion will change with time but for now...
Well it is possible to care about both. As I got older, with more disposable income, I started caring more about some of the non-essential things in life. I expect your views will change. I have several fancy tampers, but think I may get one of these.

and i have still found that my taste especially for the finer things has grown considerably, those are pretty nice looking tampers and if i wasn't already at the breaking point with my luxury finances i would get one. in the future i will. for now time to spend more money on the wife and kid for a bit. spent way way way more than enough on me recently.

Demented

Alexander said:
Sometimes I forget my tamper and I just use my finger...
As have I. Nice thing about a finger, never have to remember to bring it along, and you would know immediately if you started to leave it somewhere.

Wonder if there?s a market for cast bronze or silver finger shaped tampers?

Wydeboi said:
I use a 2 inch stainless steel flat head screw.
I have at least 10 different tampers, can?t help but buy one that?s unique or interesting, in truth, it?s a 69ยข pipe nail that has been in my ashtray for years gets used.

Status
Not open for further replies.